cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II USM Lens vs Canon EF 70-200mm f 2.8L IS II USM

ilzho
Rising Star

Ok, I need some help from you all.

The price difference on the above lenses, is not that much, so my question is, which one would you get for sports/wildlife photography?

I was originally leaning towards  Canon EF 70-200mm f 2.8L IS II USM, but for a little bit more money I can get a lot more focal length.

I thought you guys could give me some helpful info......

Thank you,

David

23 REPLIES 23

"So would an Extender EF 2X really hamper or slow the lens?"

Everything suffers when you add one.  How much?  That is up to you not anyone else.  I don't like them and I don't use them.

I have used 1.4x, 1.6x, 1.7x, 2x, and even 3x.  The 1.4x does work fairly well on some lenses.  Some very limited lenses!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I'll get the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Lens.

I do not expect this to be the last lens I own, but it's a great one to have and if I need to get to 600mm or more, hopefully I will be in a financial position to do so when the time arises.

"I'll get the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Lens."

You can be satisified that you bought the best lens of its kind on the planet.  Your next decision will be the super zoom.  One of the 150-600mm is in order.  There are rumors that Canon is designing one of their own.  I am sure they do not like the fact that SIgma and Tamton have cornered that market segment.

Nikon has the Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR Lens. A super zoom in that price rage and quality.

EB

Ok, so this maybe a stupid question, so I apologize in advance....

If you are not a pro photographer, at what point do you say that's a big enough zoom lens?

Now if this is your lifestyle and get paid for taking pictures, I totally get it, but for the hobbyist, do you need super telephoto lens for $10K+?

I can hear the answers now... "of course I do", hahahaha.....Smiley Tongue

@ilzho wrote:

Ok, so this maybe a stupid question, so I apologize in advance....

If you are not a pro photographer, at what point do you say that's a big enough zoom lens?

Now if this is your lifestyle and get paid for taking pictures, I totally get it, but for the hobbyist, do you need super telephoto lens for $10K+?

I can hear the answers now... "of course I do", hahahaha.....Smiley Tongue

I think you got it backwards...the pros who do it for a living, use what they need to get the job done.  The non-pros (I'm one) who can afford it, go all out...why the heck not... 🙂

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

"...  do you need super telephoto lens for $10K+?"

The Tamron and Sigma 150-600's are no where near 10 large. Both are around $1000.  If you shoot wildlife, yes, you do need one of these or something similar. It is a hobby.  It costs to play.

EB

One thing the 100-400 has going for it over the 150-600 is size.  The 100-400 and 70-200 [f/2.8 version] lenses are almost identical in size.  I can pack both into my backpack, Ruggard Thunderhead 75, both with tripod foot and hood attached, and still have room for 3 more lenses and two bodies with grips.

If I pack the 150-600, it takes the room of the 100-400, 2 lenses, and a camera body.  Plus, the hood doesn't fit very well in the bag.  When I carry the 150-600, I invariably carry it in its' own case, not in my backpack, and no long walks.  Big Siggy doesn't fit into my Lowepro TopLoader holster, either, but either the 70-200 or 100-400 can.

I like to travel light when I'm on foot, and big Siggy makes me leave lenses behind.  I usually go 16-35 and 70-200.  Or, I'll go 24-105 and 100-400.  Bringing big Siggy means I have leave two out of those four behind, and a camera body, if I use my backpack.  I'll go with one of those pairs, or just big Siggy when I'm on foot.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@diverhank wrote:

@ilzho wrote:

Want to use it mainly for horse racing, they rarely get over 40 mph.

I will use it for wildlife as well and other equine shots......

For sports and wildlife, you're better off with the 100-400mm f/5.6L II.

I am forced to agree with this conclusion.  At the short end its 70mm versus 100mm, which isn't much on a full frame camera.  On an APS-C camera, both lenses are kind of longish on the short end, and almost equally so. 

At the long end, the 100-400 is giving you double the reach, but not the f/2.8 speed.  For outdoor sports, that is not going to make a huge difference because many outdoor sports have lights.  It will make a difference indoors, though.

Buy the 70-200 and possibly a 1.4 extender. Outdoor lights at sports venues usually aren't as bright as your eyes think they are. At your local horse track, they almost certainly won't be.

A 100-400mm f/5.6 lens is nearly useless indoors. It's too long for most rooms (especially on an APS-C camera) and too slow for most indoor lighting conditions.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

At the long end, the 100-400 is giving you double the reach, but not the f/2.8 speed.  For outdoor sports, that is not going to make a huge difference because many outdoor sports have lights.  It will make a difference indoors, though.

Buy the 70-200 and possibly a 1.4 extender. Outdoor lights at sports venues usually aren't as bright as your eyes think they are. At your local horse track, they almost certainly won't be.

A 100-400mm f/5.6 lens is nearly useless indoors. It's too long for most rooms (especially on an APS-C camera) and too slow for most indoor lighting conditions.

I was going to comment on the 'outdoor sports have lights' thing also. Even at pro and college venues you'll be at ISO 3200-6400 with an f/5.6 lens. At many high school venues you're at those ISOs with an f/2.8 lens. The OP described a small local track, if they have lighting at all, it is likely to be on the marginal side. 

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

You need to determine how often you will be wanting greater than 200mm.

Once you exceed 200mm both lenses are basically f/5.6 lenses (not sure exactly when the 100-400 transitions).

Once you exceed 200mm the 100-400 will be sharper and faster focusing.

Do you have a good lens that will fill the 70-100 gap (or don't see a need to fill that gap).

In other words, do you want a 100-400mm f/5.6 lens or do you want a 70-200mm f/2.8 lens that can sometimes be a 400mm f/5.6 lens?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements