cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II USM Lens vs Canon EF 70-200mm f 2.8L IS II USM

ilzho
Rising Star

Ok, I need some help from you all.

The price difference on the above lenses, is not that much, so my question is, which one would you get for sports/wildlife photography?

I was originally leaning towards  Canon EF 70-200mm f 2.8L IS II USM, but for a little bit more money I can get a lot more focal length.

I thought you guys could give me some helpful info......

Thank you,

David

23 REPLIES 23

Do either of these fit the length restriction? What about the 70-300 L IS which is a very good lens in both sharpness & IS.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

@cicopo wrote:

Do either of these fit the length restriction? What about the 70-300 L IS which is a very good lens in both sharpness & IS.

Both lenses are nearly identical in size.  I love the size of the 100-400.  It's highly totable, compared to a 150-600mm. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

To me the question you asked is should I buy the best lens in the world or another lens that isn't.  So you have my answer.

Of course the correct answer is to get the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Lens.  I don't recommend the 2x tele converter for any lens but the 1.4x does works fairly well on the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Lens.  But.............

The beauty of a DSLR is the ability to use different lenses.  The EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Lens should not be the last lens you will be getting. So the best solution is the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Lens and later on one of the 150-600mm zooms on the market.  No matter what you say about the 100-400 it doesn't have 600mm.  And for wildlife photography 400mm is about the minimum focal length. 600mm is where it gets really good.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"For sports and wildlife, you're better off with the 100-400mm f/5.6L II."

Unless it is indoor sports.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements