cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can scratched front lens elements be replaced by Canon?

FieldCoast
Contributor

Hello all,

I'm one of those people who worries about accidently damaging my camera gear.  I just purchased an EOS R with the 24-105 L series lens and I was curious how easy it is to scratch?  Should I be worried about scratching the lens when replacing the lens cap with a lens hood in a reverse position or is it safer to remove the lens hood to ensure it's put on correctly?  In the event that the lens does get damaged I did purchase the care pak.  Would canon replace the front lens element if needed?  Thanks!

12 REPLIES 12

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I also personally use the B+W brand."

I second this and strongly advise buying one of their protecto filters. Beyond that I see very little to no use for any other filter. A small exception might be for an ND and even less for a polarizer. Better to learn how to use a good post editor. You have a very good one from Canon called DPP4. Best part it is free. Filters are not.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I had to have CPS replace the front element on my ef 85mm f1.2L after I dropped it on the tile floor at a McDonald's. It was $385 bucks five or six years ago. I took some sample pictures with it after I dropped it. I wanted to see if it would even work.  It did and it did make a picture. I tried to find one of them for this reply but I could not. Sorry.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

WalterStrong
Apprentice

Do yourself a big favor and stop worrying about it.  I used to do the same thing but solved that by always putting my lens cap on when not using the lens.  

Announcements