cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brand new RF 800 mm f11 not working, says "Set lens to shooting position"

tonyaab
Apprentice

A brand new RF 800 mm F11 IS STM prime lens I just received via online order does not seem to work.  When properly mounted to my EOS R6 camera body (firmware version 1.8.3), the camera displays "Set the lens to the shooting position", regardless of whether the locking ring is in LOCKED or UNLOCKED.  In fact, both lens and camera are inoperative as long as the lens is mounted, no matter what positions switches or other controls are put in.  Is there some trick to getting this lens to work, or did I just get a bad one?  I do not have an alternate camera to test with. Thanks for any advice.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

That error message "Set the lens to the shooting position" means the lens isn't extended and locked. Although you didn't mention extending it, I assume you did. If that's the case, unlock the ring and see if the lens will extend a bit more, then lock it. It could just be stiff/tight and not extending to the full 800mm.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Sounds like the Lock Switch is not reporting its value correctly. I suggest you contact Canon, unless you got grey market

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

That error message "Set the lens to the shooting position" means the lens isn't extended and locked. Although you didn't mention extending it, I assume you did. If that's the case, unlock the ring and see if the lens will extend a bit more, then lock it. It could just be stiff/tight and not extending to the full 800mm.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

tonyaab
Apprentice

Thank you, FloridaDrafter.  That was the problem.  The lens wasn't fully extended.  That's because it wasn't extended at all!  I had never seen a picture of the lens extended, and didn't realize that it, well, did that.  There's no clue in the skimpy printed instructions that came with it, and I was about to ask what the silly locking ring was for, anyway. Now I know. I should have realized that at this price point, distance substitutes for costly elements. Now that I've thoroughly embarrassed myself, I will slink away quietly.  But thanks again!

@tonyaab wrote:

Thank you, FloridaDrafter.  That was the problem.  The lens wasn't fully extended.  That's because it wasn't extended at all!  I had never seen a picture of the lens extended, and didn't realize that it, well, did that.  There's no clue in the skimpy printed instructions that came with it, and I was about to ask what the silly locking ring was for, anyway. Now I know. I should have realized that at this price point, distance substitutes for costly elements. Now that I've thoroughly embarrassed myself, I will slink away quietly.  But thanks again!

You are very welcome! And, don't be too embarrassed as it's not typical for a lens to work this way.

I've seen some really nice images using this and the 600mm f/11. You just need to have fairly good lighting. It should work well with the R6 and don't be afraid to up the ISO a bit 🙂

Newton

"There's no clue in the skimpy printed instructions that came with it,"

You sure?

Untitled.jpg

Nope, kvbarkley.  The instructions or manual page you show above was NOT included as hardcopy with my lens.  All I got was a generic sheet describing the operation and features of all lenses.  I have searched the Canon site in vain for a specific PDF user manual for this lens.  In fact, I cannot find the lens itself as a current product.  I've no doubt it's up there, somewhere, but so far I can only find the user manual on third-party websites, together with descriptions of and solutions to my exact issue.  I should have done a broader search to start with instead of going straight to Canon.

Please mark thread as Solved.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements