cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

70-200 f2.8 hand held

jay968
Contributor
I have read conflicting opinions on whether or not it is ok to carry a 70-200 f2.8 ISII on a 6D or a 5D MKIII using the standard camera strap instead of supporting the lens first. Will this cause undo stress on the lens mount with either or both of these cameras? Does anyone know what canon recommends?
22 REPLIES 22

@cuda719, Do you hang it by the tripod collar or the camera base?

Jinx.

It is on the camera not the lens

The one I use is a large UP-Strap with rapid release it has a Kevlar Web and a comforable pad around the shoulder area

retails for about $65.00 you cano order directly from the company

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Two words for you.         Black Rapid

Get the camera off of your neck.  And stop looking like nubby tourist.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I have a friend who enthusiastically recommends the Black Rapid strap. But read the reviews before you rush out and buy one. BR apears to have had some reliability problems which they may or may not have overcome. Also, some claim that it's very difficult to jockey the camera into position for a vertical shot.

If you can't stand to look like a clown, you probably shouldn't be a photographer.  ;^)

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

The Bosstrap is another option.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Frankly I can't stand the Black Rapid straps and the others like it. I'd rather carry around a 70-200 2.8 by the lens all day than use one of those straps. Also, for those of you who do use them, be very careful if you're using one screwed into the tripod mount at the bottom of your camera. That mount was not made to carry a camera and lens around. It was meant to put the camera on a tripod.
Announcements