cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

50mm lens no longer focuses

calcloverling
Apprentice

Does focusing a lens in AF break a lens?  I don't think I've ever done this but it crosses my mind in case someone else using my camera has by accident...

Is there something about a 50mm lens that is more prone to breakage?  I've had 2 in several years that no longer focus.

6 REPLIES 6

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

By "focusing a lens in AF break a lens", do you mean attempting manual focus while the lens is in AF mode?   Just want to be sure to understand.

What specific 50mm lens do you have?

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Yes correct “attempting manual focus while the lens is in AF mode”. I have not done this personally but I have had people borrow my lens and no idea if that has happened with them.  But if there is another way to break a lens I would also like to know since this is my 2nd 50mm 1.4 that has stopped being able to focus in auto or manual.  

Model:

Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM standard fixed

amfoto1
Authority

@calcloverling wrote:

Does focusing a lens in AF break a lens?  I don't think I've ever done this but it crosses my mind in case someone else using my camera has by accident...

Is there something about a 50mm lens that is more prone to breakage?  I've had 2 in several years that no longer focus.

Whether a lens can be safely focused manually with the AF turned on depends upon the type of auto focusing drive motor it uses. Unfortunately, Canon has made 50mm lenses with all three types: micro motor, STM and USM. That's why previous responses have asked exactly what lens(es) you have used.

Micro motor lenses can be damaged by manually overriding AF. You need to turn off the AF before manually focusing. Examples of this are the older Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 first version and the EF 50mm f/1.8 II. The Canon EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro is another micro motor lenses. It's safe to assume any auto focusing Canon EF, EF-S, EF-M or RF lenses that aren't marked "STM" or "USM" are micro motor lenses. (Obvious exceptions: purely manual focusing lenses such as the TS-E Tilt-Shift, MP-E 65mm 1X-5X Macro and RF 5.2mm Dual Fisheye 3D VR.)

STM (stepper motor) and USM (ultrasonic motor) lenses are not harmed by manually overriding AF.

In fact, STM lenses are "fly by wire", which means they electronically detect the movement of the ring and use some sort of servo to move the focusing element, so they have to be powered up before you can manually focus them. If the camera is off or in sleep mode and you turn the focus ring, nothing happens. An example of this is the current Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM. (Note: This will never be a problem with the mirrorless lenses, either the EF-M or the RF series, because those cameras always need to be powered up anyway for their electronic viewfinders and/or rear monitors to work.)

Most USM lenses can be manually focused at any time, powered up or not. There are some exceptions though. A few are "fly by wire", too. And, at least one of them is "hybrid USM"... the Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM. There have been rumors over the years that it's AF system is somewhat fragile and overriding it manually might eventually cause it to fail. Some have also noted that a hard bump on the focusing ring or the front barrel when it's protruding (i.e., the lens is focused very close) might damage the AF system of this particular lens. I have to say, though, that I've got one that I bought used many years ago and have used fairly often with no special treatment without any problems. It's possible this is because I always use it with the bayonet hood... which covers and protects the focus ring when the hood is reversed for storage and protects the front barrel when in use. That's a theory,. Or maybe I just "got a good one".

Their EF 50mm f/1.2L USM is the type of ultrasonic "ring" motor that Canon calls "FTM" or "full time manual"... safe to focus manually at any time. Most Canon USM lenses are this type. Some newer models use "Nano USM", which appears to also be "FTM" capable.

In addition to their differences with respect to manual focus...

• micro motor lenses also tend to be slower focusing, noisier and may be less accurate
  • STM lenses are faster than micro motor, accurate, quiet and smooth operating, ideal for video
  • USM is even faster still, as well as accurate, but makes a little noise and may be too abrupt for video.
  • Nano USM is both quiet and smooth like STM, as well as fast and accurate like USM.

For what it's worth, the only Canon lens I'm aware of that's been made in versions with all three types of focus drive is the EF-S 18-135mm. It was initially offered with a micro motor. Then along with some optical changes a faster focusing version with STM came out. Finally it was offered apparently with the same optics, but an upgrade to USM focus drive. In fact, it was the first lens to use Canon's then new Nano USM. Canon claimed this was 2X to 4X faster focusing than the STM version.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7DII (x2), 7D(x2), EOS M5, some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

Canon has only released 1 EF 50/1.4 lens. It supports full time manual focus. This lens actually uses Micro Motor USM. But it has an additional clutch to allow for full time manual focus. The 50/1.4 is the only micro motor USM lens to allow full time manual focus. All of Canon's ring type USM AF Motor lenses include a distance scale. That's how you know of a lens supports full time manual focus. Micro Motor USM lenses do not have a focus distance scale. Except the 50/1.4 because it has an additional clutch to allow for full time manual focus.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@calcloverling wrote:

It won't happen in normal careful use, but the 50mm f/1.4 is known to be susceptible to damage; more so than other Canon lenses.

Damage to Canon EF 50 mm f/1.4 USM: Canon SLR Lens Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review (dpreview....

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

amfoto1
Authority

Once again, the Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM is widely believed to have a rather fragile AF drive system.

Yes, it uses a hybrid form of USM, which is supposed to allow for full time manual override. But some users whose  AF failed question that (again, mine has not failed). 

Lensrentals.com used to publish regular reports of their lens repair experiences. They noted they were in the unusual position of having many copies of a lot of lenses and that their rental lenses have a pretty tough life, both because users don't take as much care with a rental and because the lenses spend a lot of time riding around in UPS trucks. Life at Lensrentals is sort of a torture test for photo gear, so they also test every item when it's returned from a rental.

They tracked and listed data on lenses requiring repair at a significantly above average rate, only including lenses they had 10 or more copies of in stock. 

For example, the last year they reported this data, in 2011 on average 8.25% of all the lenses they stock needed  some sort of repair sometime during the year. The Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM lens was on their list as one that required significantly more than the average (almost double). In 2011 out of 88 EF 50mm f/1.4 in their stock, fourteen or 16% need repairs. Of those, eight required focus motor replacement. (https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/01/lens-repair-data-2011/ )

In 2009 Lensrentals had reported an annual repair rate of the EF 50mm f/1.4 even higher: 19%. They did not indicate the number of units in stock, but stated that AF motor failure was the most common issue. And they noted: "The Canon 50 f/1.4 joins the list this period. Auto-focus motor failure tended to hit hard at about one year’s use, which is why it hasn’t shown up until now—we only started stocking this lens about 18 months ago."

There was a lot of speculation on forums about why these problems were occurring with this particular lens.  I detailed that in my previous response, below.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7DII (x2), 7D(x2), EOS M5, some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR

Announcements