cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

28-135mm EF vs. 55-250mm EF-S, please help me understand crop factor.

klavender
Contributor

Sorry for the newbie question but I've searched Google and couldn't really understand this. I have a 40D with a 28-135mm EF lens. I understand this is a APS-C camera and since the lens is an EF that the effective zoom is 44-216mm. I would like to get more zoom but the EF-S telephoto is 55-250mm. 250mm doesn't seem like much more that 216mm and I'm not sure it's worth it. I've also looked at the EF 70-300mm which would be 112-480mm. It's twice as much money and would think I would want it slightly wider at the low end.

Also, if I go with the EF-S 55-250 would the STM be worth it over the standard? I want a quick focus as this will be used mainly for wildlife. How does the standard and STM compare to the USM of my current lens?

71 REPLIES 71

@klavender wrote:

Ok, after way too much reading. I'm pretty much decided on the EF-S 55-250mm IS STM. The STM seems to be just as fast as the USM. And is said to be sharper than the 70-300mm. It's said to be a very good lens for the money. As much as I try and talk myself into spending more money, I just can't do it. I really do appreciate everyone's help and advice.

Don't buy it from Amazon, or eBay.  Buy it with a one year warranty from the Canon Online Refurbished store, which currently has it discounted by 50%.  See the link to the store at the lower right corner of these forum pages.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@klavender wrote:

Ok, after way too much reading. I'm pretty much decided on the EF-S 55-250mm IS STM. The STM seems to be just as fast as the USM. And is said to be sharper than the 70-300mm. It's said to be a very good lens for the money. As much as I try and talk myself into spending more money, I just can't do it. I really do appreciate everyone's help and advice.

Don't buy it from Amazon, or eBay.  Buy it with a one year warranty from the Canon Online Refurbished store, which currently has it discounted by 50%.  See the link to the store at the lower right corner of these forum pages.

Awesome! Just ordered it for $130!!!!!! With the same warranty as new and a 14 day return policy if I don't like it. You definitely can't beat it for that kind of money.

"Don't buy it from Amazon, ..."

This is excellent advise. Don't buy any camera gear from Amazon.  Now for ebay that is another story. If you know what you are doing and the item, you can make a good deal.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@Waddizzle wrote:

While I agree with the eBay part, I've bought a lot of gear from Amazon. Other than occasional under padding lenses for shipment which they quickly accepted a return (they paid the return shipping). There are 3rd party sellers on Amazon which I would avoid, but, I've had zero issues with orders fulfilled by Amazon (Prime), and issues were quickly resolved with a no hassle return. 

ScottyP
Authority

These telephoto lenses get expensive quick.  Birds are infamously cheap and will seldom pay a dime, even for a first rate portrait. 

Unless  you have a lot of money and a serious interest in birding just work on getting close to the birds instead of getting a monster lens. 

Go to the birds.

Our aviary in Pittsburgh has a room painted sky blue which is full of fake branches. And birds. You walk right in and you compose the shot of a bird 6-12 feet away and use a wide aperture to blur out the background and it looks like you were outdoors with a high power lens. 

Bring the birds to you.

Also you can set up a feeder outside a window. Paper the window over leaving just a shooting hole so the birds don't see you. Hang a dead branch near the feeder for them to sit on so you don't have the feeder in every shot. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

@ScottyP wrote:

These telephoto lenses get expensive quick.  Birds are infamously cheap and will seldom pay a dime, even for a first rate portrait. 

Unless  you have a lot of money and a serious interest in birding just work on getting close to the birds instead of getting a monster lens. 

Go to the birds.

Our aviary in Pittsburgh has a room painted sky blue which is full of fake branches. And birds. You walk right in and you compose the shot of a bird 6-12 feet away and use a wide aperture to blur out the background and it looks like you were outdoors with a high power lens. 

Bring the birds to you.

Also you can set up a feeder outside a window. Paper the window over leaving just a shooting hole so the birds don't see you. Hang a dead branch near the feeder for them to sit on so you don't have the feeder in every shot. 

If you choose the second option, lock the cat indoors during your shooting sessions.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Bob from Boston,

Scott has some great suggestions and some not so great.

As I have said, location is the key and the most important part of most photography.  Where are you and where is your subject.  Number one almost all the time.

"Paper the window over leaving just a shooting hole so the birds don't see you"

What?  Not so good. I would never recommend anyone shoot through a window pane.  You spend, maybe hundreds, possibly thousands and you recommend shooting through a window? Some won't even shoot with a filter made for the purpose.

"...  lock the cat indoors during your shooting sessions."

And pass up an opportunity for a great shot?  Smiley Wink  OK, I guess so.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

klavender
Contributor
So far I've thrown bird seed in the front yard while I sit on the front porch with a camera and a beer. 🙂 Not much luck with birds so far but the squirrels love it! Can't wait until my lens gets here. The cat would make for some interesting pictures. Lol.

@klavender wrote:
So far I've thrown bird seed in the front yard while I sit on the front porch with a camera and a beer. 🙂 Not much luck with birds so far but the squirrels love it! Can't wait until my lens gets here. The cat would make for some interesting pictures. Lol.

One trick to getting good bird shots is to learn where they like to feed, breed, or just generally hang out.  Then, show up there before the birds get there, which usually means at least an hour before dawn. 

In fact, I did exactly that this morning at the nearby water front, where I had noticed that a pair of Mallard ducks liked to hang out around sunrise.  Not only did I capture some great shots of the ducks ....

IMG_5549.jpg

...but, I also captured several baby Canadian geese.

IMG_5479.jpg

@It reminds a lot like fishing.  You have to get up and get out early.  Being very quiet, still and patient pays its' rewards.  Except, taking photos is a lot less messy and smelly.  Both photos were taken before sunrise, in low light with a 6D and the Sigma 150-600 @600mm.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

A00A1959.jpg

Chestnut-sided Warbler, just a slight crop for composition. Canon 7D Mk II, Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 w/ 2X TC at ~550mm.

click here to view the gallery
Announcements