cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

28-135mm EF vs. 55-250mm EF-S, please help me understand crop factor.

klavender
Contributor

Sorry for the newbie question but I've searched Google and couldn't really understand this. I have a 40D with a 28-135mm EF lens. I understand this is a APS-C camera and since the lens is an EF that the effective zoom is 44-216mm. I would like to get more zoom but the EF-S telephoto is 55-250mm. 250mm doesn't seem like much more that 216mm and I'm not sure it's worth it. I've also looked at the EF 70-300mm which would be 112-480mm. It's twice as much money and would think I would want it slightly wider at the low end.

Also, if I go with the EF-S 55-250 would the STM be worth it over the standard? I want a quick focus as this will be used mainly for wildlife. How does the standard and STM compare to the USM of my current lens?

71 REPLIES 71

The Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM Lens has been discontinued.  It was some time ago. The only resource for one now is used. Possibly not the best lens to buy on the used market. Lot's of problems.

The Sigma 50-500mm f/4.5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM Lens for Canon is, or at least was the last I saw, still available but it isn't cheap.  Not in my book anyway.  Either one is an OK lens but neither is a great lens.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

The Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM Lens has been discontinued.  It was some time ago. The only resource for one now is used. Possibly not the best lens to buy on the used market. Lot's of problems.

Then you've never purchased a lens from KEH, never had a problem and the lenses were always much better than you would expect for their rating.

KEH has 2 Sigma 150-500 OS Canon mount lenses one in EX condition and the other EX+ condition. Both include the case, hood, and lens caps. Both around $600, which is a good price for what in my opinion is an underrated lens. 

@TTMartin wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Then you've never purchased a lens from KEH, never had a problem and the lenses were always much better than you would expect for their rating.

KEH has 2 Sigma 150-500 OS Canon mount lenses one in EX condition and the other EX+ condition. Both include the case, hood, and lens caps. Both around $600, which is a good price for what in my opinion is an underrated lens. 

That is way too high of a price for those lenses.  Sigma cleared out their inventory of the lenses at that same selling price.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@TTMartin wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

That is way too high of a price for those lenses.  Sigma cleared out their inventory of the lenses at that same selling price.

In my experience EX rated lenses from KEH are 'Like New'. So getting a 'like new' lens at the 'blow out price' is a good price. 

People who buy at 'blow out' prices get a great deal, be it Black Friday, or a manufacturer clearing inventory. Those prices generally should not be used to determine 'fair market value'.

For example when Canon was blowing out the original EOS M, you could buy an EOS M, EF-M 22mm f/2, and and EX90 flash for little more than the EF-M  22mm f/2 sells for by itself today. Does that mean that the EF-M 22mm f/2 is over priced. No it just means that the market for the lens is no longer distressed. It is priced fairly for what is now a willing seller (Canon) and a willing buyer.

"In my experience EX rated lenses from KEH are 'Like New'. So getting a 'like new' lens at the 'blow out price' is a good price. "

Hmm.  Okay, I'll add KEH to my list of possibilities.  I'll let you know how it works out, if and when I go that route.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Not so fast there cowboy.  You were right on with the first statement.

"That is way too high of a price for those lenses."

That is outrageous for those Siggy's.  I don't care if it is KEH. That doesn't make them worth at least a hundred and more likely two hundred bucks higher.  I have seen 'mint' ones for $500 and if you shop for a while $450.  Box included!  When Sigma closed them out I bought one with a $200 dollar rebate and it was on clearance..  I have had three of them and I still have one left.  It is a pretty nice $500 dollar lens. The other two were junk.

"I'll add KEH to my list of possibilities."

KEH is a good company but it will be the highest in price.  Usually shipping is not included in the price.  I have a bud that buys all his gear used from KEH and he is happy with it.  You can just do much better price wise elsewhere.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

diverhank
Authority

@klavender wrote:

Also, if I go with the EF-S 55-250 would the STM be worth it over the standard? I want a quick focus as this will be used mainly for wildlife. How does the standard and STM compare to the USM of my current lens?

As far as I know the difference between STM and USM is that STM doesn't make as much noise and thus is better for taking video.  There should be no discernable speed difference.

For birding type of pictures...it will get expensive really quickly so you should be mentally prepared for it :).  I have 2 recommendations.  1. Get as much focal length as possible...you will never have enough reach (for all cases).  2. Get as good a lens as you can get -soon you will want razor sharp images of a bird's eye and your 55-250 and 70-300 non-L will struggle.

Here are the most popular lenses (not comprehensive)  for the serious birders - none of them, unfortunately is going to be under $1000 (except you can find some really good deals for used # 1, 2, 4 and # 5).

1. Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L

2. Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS I USM

3. Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM

4. Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC US

5. Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary

6. Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sports

Other lenses (not comprehensive) for even more serious birders - each of these costs as much as my car...

1. Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L version I and II

2. Canon EF 500mm f/4L version I and II

3. Canon EF 600mm f/4L version I and II

4. Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

klavender
Contributor
I wouldn't consider myself a serious birder. I just dabble. Lol. I want a decent all around use zoom. Amazon has a EF 75-300mm USM but not IS for $180. How important is IS considering I might not have the steadiest hands?

ScottyP
Authority
Don't get the 75-300. Bad image quality. Either the 55-250 or the 70-300 are better. Or spend more for some of the other suggestions.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

klavender
Contributor

Ok, after way too much reading. I'm pretty much decided on the EF-S 55-250mm IS STM. The STM seems to be just as fast as the USM. And is said to be sharper than the 70-300mm. It's said to be a very good lens for the money. As much as I try and talk myself into spending more money, I just can't do it. I really do appreciate everyone's help and advice.

click here to view the gallery
Announcements