cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2.0x Extender vs. New Telephoto Lens Comparison

celson
Contributor

I currently own the EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM lens and am considering purchasing the EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS USM lens for an upcoming African safari trip.  Curious to opinions on whether I would be better off buying the EF 2.0X III extender and using it on the 70-200 f/2.8 lens than buying the 100-400?  I have never used an extender, but it would seem from the specs that all I would be giving up on are the low light / longer focal length circumstances - while having the convenience of using a single lens for almost all circumstances and saving almost $1,500...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks to all for thoughts...still doing my homework, but leaning towards new 80D and the Tamron 150-600.

View solution in original post

28 REPLIES 28

@ebiggs1 wrote:

celson,

I personally have all the combinations that I suggested. I have used all the combinations I suggested . This is unlike some folks that recommend gear, I have actually used it.

Either the ef 300mm f4 prime or the ef 400mm f5.6 prime is going to be sharper than the new 100-400mm zoom.  Either will be  much better than the older version of that zoom. This will become more apparent as you crop or enlarge that perfect shot.  Especially in printing if you so desire.  If all you intend is showing off on the web, this is not so important.

If you think IS is a worthwhile feature for you I have no doubt the ef 300mm f4L IS USM and 1.4x converter is the way to go.  It offers the distinct advantage to use the 300mm as is, if needed.

I will add one more thought and a suggestion.  It is what I would personally do not considering anything you have said.

I would opt for the Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD Lens for Canon. It is selling right at a grand right now.  It is an unbelievable lens for the money.  There is a SIgma model that is very simular but lacks any weather proofing which the Tamron has.  But it is the Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary Lens for Canon EF.  Your choice as they are nealy twins in IQ.

Perhaps buying one of those lenses would leave enough money left over for a Canon EOS 80D DSLR Camera ($1200).

Smiley Wink  Hmmmmm...?

I've never used the Tamron or any of those primes, but I do endorse Ernie's suggestion that a new camera may do you more good than a major lens upgrade. On an organized safari you'll be able to use a tripod sometimes (assuming you have room enough to bring it along) and sometimes not. And a very long lens is very difficult to hand-hold on a crop-frame camera. I might be inclined to combine Ernie's suggestions and get the 1.4 TC (for your 70-200) and a new 80D or 7D2. Just a thought to confuse you further.

BTW, you might want to check the archives. I believe we had a lonnng discussion on the tradeoff betsween various teleconverters and various lenses sometime last year.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thanks to all for thoughts...still doing my homework, but leaning towards new 80D and the Tamron 150-600.

"... leaning towards new 80D and the Tamron 150-600."

Smiley Very Happy Outstanding choice.  The 80D as Robert from Boston indicated will blow the doors off your 40D. Most of the time lenses top the trade up or upgrade choices.  But in your case an upgraded camera will help in many ways. 
If you buy the big Tammy, you won't let it go.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@celson wrote:

Be very careful!!! The Tamron 150-600 has had focus issues with newer Canon cameras. The lenses had to be sent back to Tamron for a firmware update. Since the 80D is so new, who knows how it will work.

Also, it performs well on fat pixels of full frame cameras, but, not so well on with the higher pixel density of the newer crop sensor cameras. 

tamron 150-600.JPG

The Tamron 150-600 would probably be ok, with your 40D since at 10 megapixels it has relatively large pixels.

Edit: Evidently there is no way to know if your lens was built with the new or old firmware. Supposedly from Tamron Technical Support. - 'Thank you for contacting Tamron. We do have an update for this lens that should help with autofocus all around. Unfortunately I don't have a specific serial number range for which lenses were updated. Your serial number is early in the series so this was most likely not updated. If you would like to send the lens in for the update please complete the attached service form and send the lens to our address at the bottom of the form. Please include your warranty confirmation number or a copy of your receipt.'

celson,

"...  leaning towards new 80D and the Tamron 150-600."  Smiley Happy

Here again I can only repeat what already I told you.

"I personally have all the combinations that I suggested. I have used all the combinations I suggested. This is unlike some folks that recommend, (or don't in this case) gear, I have actually used it."

DXO is highly disregarded by a lot of people, including me.  So take it with a grain of salt.  There was/is/ maybe a focus issue with the early Tamrons. But it affected the AI-Servo tracking ability.  Neither of the two Tamron 150-600's I own exhibit this. Possibly I am just lucky but both were early models.  Now Tamron has many thousands sold.  Buy the lens from a good retailer like BH Photo or Adorama, Roberts Camera, Best Buy, etc.  Matter of fact get the camera from one of these retailers.  Or possibly form a local camera store that will let you play with the gear before you buy it.

IMG_1447.jpg

IMG_0051.jpg

Both shot on a crop camera.  600mm and 150mm.

Another point to remember in this decision, we are comparing this lens to lenses like the ef 100-400mm. Now the older 100-400mm is not in the same class as the Tamron which has far more updated optics. The Tamron is very sharp when compared like-for-like on cameras like EOS 80D. Plus the 100-400mm (new or old) doesn't have 500mm or 600mm at all!

We are not comparing it to lenses like the EF 600mm f4L whcih is 10 times more expensive. Smiley Frustrated

Maybe the ef 70-200mm f2.8L plus the 1.4x converter has better IQ but it won't have 500mm or 600mm either.  I would offer one more suggestion. Get the lens well before you are to leave and need it.  Learn it. Learn how it works.  A big tele like this will require some learnig.  You are talking some serious focal length here.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

celson,

"...  leaning towards new 80D and the Tamron 150-600."  Smiley Happy

Here again I can only repeat what already I told you.

"I personally have all the combinations that I suggested. I have used all the combinations I suggested. This is unlike some folks that recommend, (or don't in this case) gear, I have actually used it."

When did you get an 80D?

And I'm sorry neither of those images are particularly compelling.

"When did you get an 80D?"

Do you mistakenly think all my gear is indicateds in my sig?  Well don't!

"And I'm sorry neither of those images are particularly compelling."

Odd reply coming from you, I must say. Smiley Surprised

EB

Interesting. Until just now, I didn't realize you can accept your own post as the solution. I thought it was like giving kudos, and how you can't congratulate yourself. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

"I didn't realize you can accept your own post as the solution."

Sometimes you just have to.  In this case no one said the Tammy is the best there is. But it is the best there is for the OP's requirements.  And an upgrade to the 80D or 70D for that matter is also worthwhile.  Are either of these the best camera?  No but for the OP they are a good deal.

That in a nutshell is the synopsis of the response.  And as freely stated, my humble opinion.

EB

Apologies...I am new to this board as of yesterday and not familiar with protocols.  Was simply trying to say / imply "thanks for all the feedback, I think I've got what I need to help make a decision."

Announcements