Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

100mm macro f/2.8 broken?

SarahElla
Apprentice

Hi. 

Just looking for some opinions.

I bought a used 100mm lens (non stabilized version). It seemed to work great at first when I took about 30 shots to test it. When I picked it up a day or 2 later, it started making a horrible sound when in auto focus and at the 1:1 range (0.307m). The lens sticks there and will not move. I have to turn the camera off and manually retract it.

Alternately, if in manual focus, the lens sticks and stops at 0.315m and 0.307m. If you turn the ring quickly, it will move through these 2 but if turning it slowly, it will get stuck.

I'd love an idea as to what the problem may be and if it's worth fixing. I can return the lens for a refund but otherwise, it's in fantastic shape so I'd love to keep it if a repair was a reasonable price.

Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9

Tim
Authority

Hello SarahElla, 

We are sorry to hear that you are having issues with the lens.  You may fill out an online repair request form at the following link to setup your repair using our online service.

Canon Service and Support

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

"You may fill out an online repair request.."

Careful here because the cost of the lens and the cost of a repair may exceed the cost of a brand new lens.  Tread slowly.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@SarahElla wrote:

Hi. 

Just looking for some opinions.

I bought a used 100mm lens (non stabilized version). It seemed to work great at first when I took about 30 shots to test it. When I picked it up a day or 2 later, it started making a horrible sound when in auto focus and at the 1:1 range (0.307m). The lens sticks there and will not move. I have to turn the camera off and manually retract it.

Alternately, if in manual focus, the lens sticks and stops at 0.315m and 0.307m. If you turn the ring quickly, it will move through these 2 but if turning it slowly, it will get stuck.

I'd love an idea as to what the problem may be and if it's worth fixing. I can return the lens for a refund but otherwise, it's in fantastic shape so I'd love to keep it if a repair was a reasonable price.

Thanks.

Did you try to manually focus the lens while it had autofocus turned on? Many Canon lenses allow it, but some do not. Those that don't can have their autofocus motors jammed by the experience.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

SarahElla
Apprentice
I did not. But out of curiosity, is there a way to unjam it?

@SarahElla wrote:
I did not. But out of curiosity, is there a way to unjam it?

There is. It involves twisting the lens in various ways until the AF mechanism either snaps back in place or is totally destroyed. You wouldn't try it on an expensive lens, obviously, but some lenses just aren't worth the cost of professional repair.

The do-it-yourself fix has been posted several times in this forum and has even been recommended by Canon. But one hopes that you won't need to try it. (Truthfully, I don't know whether your lens is subject to the problem. Many Canon lenses, including most or all recent lenses, are not.)

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I can return the lens for a refund but otherwise, ..."

The "otherwise" is, it is broken. You are not going to fix this lens with any "twisting".  I only know of that process working on one lens. You need to return it today.

Listen, kido, if you bought the lens and got a real good price, there is usually a reason.  You might pay a bit more from a top retailer for used gear but you usually get a small warranty and a fully tested lens.  In lieu of that, you need to check the gear out very thoroughly before you lay your money down.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Keh Camera has one rated Excellent by their conservative rating for $350.

If you keep yours and send for repair the combined cost would likely be greater than $350.

My recommendation would be to return it.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

SarahElla
Apprentice
Thank you

SarahElla
Apprentice
I was just hoping there may be a common problem/solution first.
I bought the lens online and it was listed as in excellent working condition. It is fully guaranteed so I'm not worried about that. I just wanted to see what others thought first.
Thanks for your input.
Announcements