cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

100-400 mk2 vs sigma 150-600

paulbrogden10
Enthusiast

Hi all been thinking about the sigmas 150-600 both s and c vs 100-400 mk2 any comments the sigmas are cheaper and have much longer reach.

sigma c 150-600 £750

sigma s  150-600 £1200

Canon 100-400 mk2 £1400-1700

The sigma c seems a bargin dont it?

47 REPLIES 47

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"...  the "bigger lens" in question, which Paul has been experiencing battery issues with, is the 100-400 mk2."

But it wasn't my intention.  Nice try!  You may want to point that out to Paul if you feel it that important.  Just perhaps Paul might have or buy, in the future, another or different lens besides the 100-400.

"It apparently doesn't effect a 1 series as I have never noticed it. I have owned all of these (and more) large teles, they seem to perform like any other big lens.  Of course the bigger the lens the bigger the mass the motor has to move so it will never act like a 70-200 for instance."

It is never your intention, but it just usually seems to work out that way, your needing to clarify and clean up what you post.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

It was also not my intention to direct the post to you. I believe, correct me if I'm wrong, (I am sure you will.) it was addressed to Bob from Boston.

If you find them so confusing why not ignore them?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

It was also not my intention to direct the post to you. I believe, correct me if I'm wrong, (I am sure you will.) it was addressed to Bob from Boston.

If you find them so confusing why not ignore them?

If you want to send a private message the forum has a Private Message function.

Thanx, I use it quite often.  That is why some threads seem to end unexpectedly I suspect. Smiley Happy

EB

Hello guys you seem to be getting off topic. I do youtube reviews when I reviewed the 100-400II the lens focused so slow it was in my opinion terrible. I used both a 7D mark one and and 600D with battery grips and 2 batterys in the grip. I also compaired the focus speed to a canon 70-200 mk1 and 300mm f4 with 1.4ex.

In my tests both the 70-200 and 300f4 were much faster than the 100-400 mk2. I was so disappointed I returned the lens then got the 150-600 C and S and tamron to test after my test concluded the 150-600 C and S was the sharpest and was much quicker to focus than the 100-400 was. I decided to keep the sigma C because it was as good as the sport in 90% regarding sharpness. 

I got alot of feedback from people who disagreed in an effort to be as honest as I can be I communicated the the nay sayers to try to understand their comments. I did some research and it seems it is possible canon has done some thing to the focus for older cameras which are not d1 cameras. You all know that d1 cameras can deliver more power to the AF system.

After doing more research I found a video of a 1dx with a 100-400II and could clearly see the focus was 3 times the speed I was getting on the 7D. So my conclusion was the 100-400II is no good for semi pro or budget cameras at all.

I did reach out to canon to ask if they would loan me some equipment to see if we could address this and find out if either my cameras had a problem or weather it was a lens problem but they declined to help out.

" I decided to keep the sigma C because it was as good as the sport in 90% regarding sharpness."

Paul,

This was almost my same exact course, too.  I did not buy the 100-400-2 but I did like it very much.  As to focus being faster or slower I don't remember it being an issue.  But I am using 1 series cameras.  At any rate I wanted 600mm so that just about made my decision.

I have kept the Tamron and both Sigma's (C & S).  For me the S is much more the lens I require because of the build.  I don't think and have said so, there isn't a nickels worth of difference in any of these lenses IQ wise. The S is heavy especially on a 1D Mk IV.

It doesn't bother me to have all these similar lenses because I love playing with them and testing them. I may go ahead and buy the ef 100-400-2.  I recently sold my version 1 of that lens.  This isn't all the big zooms I have!

EB

The 100-400 mk2 is a great lens, especially on the 7D mk2.  I shot this otter yesterday with that combo.

3D8A0189.Cropped.jpg

I had the 100-400 mk2 on a 7D2, and the 70-200 f/2.8 mounted on the 6D. 

EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM and EOS 7D mark II.  It was a mostly sunny day, with passing thunderstorms.

3D8A0151.jpg

1/320, f/5.6, ISO 800 - There were numerous dark clouds overhead. 

"I did see a video of a 1DX using the lens and the auto focus was like 3 times faster than my combo. I really think canon should have addressed this issue."

I believe that Canon addressed that issue years ago.  It's called a battery grip.

" It's called a battery grip."

Yes indeed!  Smiley Very Happy

EB
Announcements