cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

installing pixma mx850 on a windows 8 machine

MelissaOrange
Apprentice

I'm installing a PIXMA MX850 onto a laptop with Windows 8. Installation disk doesn't work. I've downloaded the drivers and software, but I need to know how to do the installation - e.g. which file do I run first? NON-techie here. Thanks.

11 REPLIES 11

CMM
Apprentice

Melissa you have an MX series printer - I do not have an answer for your question, but I have a question - I also have an MX series (340) I am trying to register my wireless function and cannot change the number pad to an alphabet pad (all caps) so as to register/enter the password. Hope you can help---

Michael
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello MelissaOrange and CMM.

MelissaOrange,

To install the MX850 on Windows 8, the latest drivers will be needed from our website.  Please return to the MX850 download section at the following link:

MX850 Download page

Once you are there, choose 'Windows 8 (x64)' in the Select OS menus.  Then download the Mini Master Setup from the Drivers listing.  This will install the drivers for the unit.  Then you can download the MP Navigator scanning program and other optional downloads from the Software listing.

CMM,

Please use the star (*) or Tone button to switch between uppercase, lowercase or number entry on the MX340.

I hope this helps.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I followed the instructions for WIndows 8 given above and now my mx-850 printer is displayed in the list of devices of the control panel and now, I am able to print documents. On the Win8 Start Menu I see Canon IJ Network Tool and Canon IJ Network Scan Utility; nither of them do not seem to do anything at all. So, mI am still unable to SCAN documents as yet.

Bu the way there used to be a MX-850 Canon Solutions Menu in WIndow 7 and now I do not see it in WIn8 Start Menu.

I look forward to your help in getting to know how to SCAN documents with my Win8 Machine. Thanks.

Hi kalsastry!

In order to better assist you with this, please reply with the error message that you receive when scanning. 

I also wanted to confirm that you have your printer connected correctly to your router.  There should be an ethernet cable connected from your printer to an open port on the router.  If the printer is connected via a USB cable to your router, then you will be able to network print but not network scan. 

Please make sure that the unit is selected correctly in MP Navigator.  Please open MP Navigator and click on the Preferences button.  The PIXMA MX850 that should be selected is the network attached, not the USB attached.  The network PIXMA MX850 will be named PIXMA MX850 (xxx) with the mac address of the unit in parenthesis.  Also, please make sure that the scanner is selected in the Canon IJ Scan Utility.  The Canon IJ Network Scan Utility is a software package that needs to be running so that you can scan through the network.  To do this, please follow these steps:

1.  Click on Start and then All Programs.

2.  Click on Canon IJ Network Utility.

3.  Click on Canon IJ Scan Utility.

4.  Make sure there is a checkmark next to the PIXMA MX850.

5.  Once both have been completed, attempt to scan.

Hi Devin:

Thanks for your reply. Following are my answers to your comments

Your Comment: In order to better assist you with this, please reply wit*h the error message that you receive when scanning.

My Response: I never got to the point of scanning; so there were no error messages.

Your Comment: I also wanted to confirm that you have your printer connected correctly to your router.  There should be an ethernet cable connected from your printer to an open port on the router.  If the printer is connected via a USB cable to your router, then you will be able to network print but not network scan.

My Response: Yes, I made the cable connections just like you described.

Your Comment: Please make sure that the unit is selected correctly in MP Navigator.  Please open MP Navigator and click on the Preferences button.

My Response: How do you select MP Navigator in Win8.

Your Comment: The PIXMA MX850 that should be selected is the network attached, not the USB attached. The network PIXMA MX850 will be named PIXMA MX850 (xxx) with the mac address of the unit in parenthesis. 

My Response: At what stage do we do this; after running the Cannon IJ Network Tool?

Your Comment: Also, please make sure that the scanner is selected in the Canon IJ Scan Utility.  The Canon IJ Network Scan Utility is a software package that needs to be running so that you can scan through the network. 

To do this, please follow these steps:

1.  Click on Start and then All Programs.

2.  Click on Canon IJ Network Utility.

My Response: I do not have  IJ Network Utility; I only have IJ Network Tool

Your Comment:

3.  Click on Canon IJ Scan Utility.

My Response: When I click on the Scan Utility nothing happens.

Your Comment: 

4.  Make sure there is a checkmark next to the PIXMA MX850.

My Response: When I run the IJ Network Tool, I do see a check mark next to  PIXMA MX850.

Your Comment: 

5.  Once both have been completed, attempt to scan.

PIXMA MX850: I get no response after clicking on the Scan Utility and so, I cannot do any scanning.

You gave detailed step by step instructions; but my system is not behaving the way you described. Please let me know my next steps.

Thanks,

++ Kal

Hello kalsastry.

Please make sure that you download and install the MP Navigator scanning program from our website.

The program can be downloaded at the following link:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/printers_multifunction/pixma_mx_series/pixma_mx850#Dr...

If any errors occur with this program please let us know.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hi Michael:

Clicked on your link, downloaded and installed MPNavigator. Guess what, now I am all set to go.

I wish Devin provided the link to MPNavigator. It would have saved me writing a long post. In any event, you guys are of tremendous help and I thank you both for being so prompt with your replies.

++ Kal

Hi Michael,

I followed your directions below and installed the Win 8 x64 Mini Master Setup driver. However after restarting my laptop it's only from Microsoft Word I can print from. I'm unable to print PDF, excel files, microsoft outlook emails, and other files. Under each application when trying to print the document, the Canon printer do either not come up under the available printers or a menu comes up saying that no printer is installed.

Subsequently it's only the Canon  MX850 Fax that appears under installed devices and not the actual printer although I'm able to choose the Canon MX850 Printer from the Microsoft Word when printing.

Hope you're able to assist. Thanks in advance.

Regards, Max

First, you should know what version of windows 8 is your computer. Pls check this relative video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6h0DqZW9-E

Once you already know the windows 8 version, use this information to select the correct printer driver to install in your computer. Use the installation DVD / CD and follow the instructions carefully.

Happiness for your Printer
Announcements