cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how do I print in black without using my color ink on my pixma mx 922 printer?

stj
Apprentice

how do I print in black without using my color ink  on my pixma mx 922 printer?

75 REPLIES 75

Thank you for your response!  Here is the requested information:

Canon MX920 series:

Print Server: Local

Driver Version: 12.3.0.0

Default: Yes

System Printer Sharing: No

Shared: No

URI: canonijnetwork://Canon/Canon%20MX920%20series?TYPE=_canon-bjnp1._tcp.

PPD: Canon MX920 series

PPD File Version: 12.3.0.0

PostScript Version: (3010.000) 705

CUPS Version: 2.0.0 (cups-408.2)

Scanning support: Yes

Scanning app (bundleID path): -

Scanning app version: -

Scanner UUID: -

Printer Commands: PrintSelfTestPage ReportLevels

CUPS filters:

Raster2CanonIJ:

Path: /Library/Printers/Canon/BJPrinter/Filters/Raster2CanonIJ/Raster2CanonIJ.bundle/Contents/MacOS/Raster2CanonIJ

Permissions: rwxr-xr-x

Version: 12.3.0

Command2CanonIJ:

Path: /Library/Printers/Canon/BJPrinter/Filters/Command2CanonIJ.bundle/Contents/MacOS/Command2CanonIJ

Version: 12.3.0

Fax support: No

Printer utility: /Library/Printers/Canon/BJPrinter/Utilities/CanonIJPrinterUtility.app

Printer utility version: 12.3.0

PDEs:

CanonIJPDE.bundle:

Sandbox compliant: Yes

Michael
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello.

Additional troubleshooting will have to be done to narrow down why the Grayscale option is not available for your printers. Please contact our support group using the "Contact Us" link below for additional assistance.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I have the same problem with my MX922 and my new iMac, using OS 10.11.3   Also, when does PGBK get used?

Here is a copy of the other info that was requested by you.

Canon MX920 series 2:

Driver Version: 13.7.1.0

Default: Yes

System Printer Sharing: Yes

URI: usb://Canon/MX920%20series?serial=518B9B

PPD: Canon MX920 series

PPD File Version: 13.7.1.0

CUPS Version: 2.1.0 (cups-435)

Scanning app: /Library/Image Capture/Devices/Canon IJScanner5.app

Scanning app version: 4.0.0

Scanner UUID: 00000000-0000-0000-0000-353138423942

CUPS filters:

Raster2CanonIJ:

Path: /Library/Printers/Canon/BJPrinter/Filters/Raster2CanonIJ/Raster2CanonIJ.bundle/Contents/MacOS/Raster2CanonIJ

Version: 13.0.0

Command2CanonIJ:

Path: /Library/Printers/Canon/BJPrinter/Filters/Command2CanonIJ.bundle/Contents/MacOS/Command2CanonIJ

Printer utility: /Library/Printers/Canon/BJPrinter/Utilities/CanonIJPrinterUtility.app

Printer utility version: 13.0.0

PDEs:

CanonIJPDE.bundle:

Thank you

After emailing Canon support.  was told that the Canon MX922 type of printer could only print using the Pigment Black ink for text. However I cannot figure out how to tell the printer the difference.

Hi. I would love to be able to print in black and white not using colour ink too. I have pasted below the info you asked for from someone else. I have a mcbook pro version 10.8.5 and a canon MG6300. any help would be much appreciated. I cannot find a greyscale option anywhere in the print dailogue boxes or in the Textedit application option.

Regards

Canon MG6300 series (18.0c.ac.2b.cb.5a):

Driver Version: 13.7.1.0
Default: No
URI: canonijnetwork://Canon/MG6300%20series?18.0c.ac.2b.cb.5a
PPD: Canon MG6300 series
PPD File Version: 13.7.1.0
CUPS Version: 1.6.2 (cups-327.9)
Scanning app version: -
Scanner UUID: -
CUPS filters:
Raster2CanonIJ:
Command2CanonIJ:
Printer utility version: 13.0.0
PDEs:
CanonIJPDE.bundle:

Can I ask a similar question: how do I print black-only (without wasting colour ink) on an MG5450? I am on a PC, with Windows10

Thanks - Ken

Not sure this is correct. Just done a long print run on my MG7751... set in grayscale mode... printing continuously for about 500 pages... and the colored cartridges have emptied. And when they do, if you click continue, the printing gets very pale even though the black cartridge is full

Yes, grayscale printing uses your color ink and no way round it that I can see.

Thanks, My issue seemed to correct itself. In my printer box, drop down menu for printer select there were somehow 2 printers there, both with the same name, but when I switched to the other setting the B&W box came back. Works great, when selected everything, text and images print in B&W with good quality, not in greyscale.

i have the same problem using osx 10.14.6 with TR7500 series. No way to use my black cartidges when doublesided is used . i tried all the answers here. My colors goes down. not my black cartridge. CANON please change this behavior. In a medium term it would be less expensive to buy another brand which does it right. 

I can tell you how but I will tell you this. LOL I got rid of my Pixima becuase even though I could hack it, and even though I could get it to print black only , It was Not JUST using black.   I would probably still be using it though had I not come accross this sweet deal on what I have runningnow though which has the options to use ONLY black without running color and switching back and fourth is easy so I can print my regular documents and all that good stuff in black and white , Crisp and clear, and not run teh tanks down in colors.  also, I have the tanks hacked running huge and awesomely. so even if I did have color  projects, I am still squared up dirty cheap. I bought a redsetter, the cheap battery one, when I did it lasted a awhile and then Ihacked teh redsetter as well and powered it with USB support for power.  so endless chip resetter.   but now, really, you can buy like 30 carts for 15 bones on ebay. It;s cheaper to redset and refill but also pretty cheap and 2 bucks a pop for carts really if you dont want to mess with refilling and  resetting.

My new set up is on medium bulk ink, I can run it heaper than the paper costs. all day long.   Bt it's not new and not cannon.

This is the grey scale rules for teh cannons.     you might have already seen this, sucks I know.

Image quality will be sacrificed when printing photographs and graphics.

1. Open the Print dialog box by clicking File and selecting 'Print' from inside the application being printed from.

2. Select the 'Quality & Media' settings from the pop-up menu.

3. Select 'Plain Paper' as the Media Type.

4. Select the box for 'Grayscale Printing'.

5. Select 'Printing a composite document' from the Print Mode.

6. Click 'Print' to save the changes.

Grey scale is basically it for the piximas.   sorry man, there is a way to still go the cheap route

Announcements