cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LiDE 500F Get error msg. " unable to to open TWAIN source" The given corrective action does not work

patcryan43
Apprentice

My scanner; LiDE 500F Gets error msg. " unable to to open TWAIN source ..." The given corrective action does not work.

Tried reloading software and drivers but continued to get same msg.

Noticed the Cano Scan folder in Programs file was empty. Went to WIA, it's status was auto restart. changed it to manual and stopped auto restart. Went back and reloaded software and drivers. Resulted CanoScan folder still empty.

It is not the scanner or cable connection, they work fine on a different computer.  

Can someone help me get this thing going again.

Thanks

Pat

5 REPLIES 5

Danny

Hi, Pat!

So that the Community can help you better, we will need to know exactly which operating system is running on your computer. That, and any other details you'd like to give will help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is a time-sensitive matter, our US-based technical support team is standing by, ready to help 24/7 via Email at http://bit.ly/EmailCanon or by phone at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) weekdays between 10 AM and 10 PM ET (7 AM to 7 PM PT).

Thanks and have a great day!

Hello and thanks for the response. Windows 7 Pro is my operating system. This started acting up when I joined weight watchers on line. I wound up with some uninvited software on the computer and in an effort to repair it myself wound up deleting things, in places in the operating system that I didn't fully understand. I wound up restoring the computer to a previous date and got everything working except the scanner.
I ran a Windows 7 diagnostic and it to did a restore. Scanner still doesn't work.
If there is anything else, please let me know. Thanks again
Pat

Hi Again
I also tried something I found googling my problem. Itsent me to a place called Environment Variables where I looked up a value and entered it in systen variables, path. It did not work.
Pat

Hi again

Not sure exactly how this works with community help. I responded to someones request for furthe info but have heard nothing since. Not complaining just wondering if my message got through.

I sent two msg. describing what I have done and the my Operating system.

Should I resubmit.

Thanks Pat

Ramona
Authority

Hi patcryan43,

To see if the scanner can scan at all from your computer, I would like to have you try and scan from the Microsoft Paint program that comes with Windows.  To attempt to scan from Microsoft Paint, please follow these steps:

1.  Go to your START Menu, select ALL PROGRAMS, then ACCESSORIES, then MICROSOFT PAINT.

2.  Once inside of Paint, in the upper left corner you will see a blue square; please click on that and select FROM SCANNER OR CAMERA.  A window will appear asking you what device you want to use.  Please select the CanoScan LiDE 500F, then press the OK button.

3.  In the next window, you should have the option of selecting a document type; please select one, then press the SCAN button in the window.

Are you able to scan successfully using Microsoft Paint?

If this is a time-sensitive matter, additional support options are available at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements