cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What was fixed in the firmware for inkjet printers that continuously reboot or power down?

Contributor

As the title asks the question…what happened that caused all of the printers with internet access to behave the way that they did on the 31st?

I think in the spirit of transparency that we should be given an answer as to what caused the problem. Also, what was added to the firmware update that fixed it? I’m curious because I’m not updating my firmware because changing the DNS manually allows me to print without issue. Is there any benefit to the firmware update other than web services or over the air firmware updates?

11 REPLIES 11

They only thing I’ve come across was that someone mentioned that their router logs indicated a bin file download before their printer would become unresponsive. I assumed the problem was due to a firmware update even though my model (mg7520) would only alert you if a new version was available. And like you, I haven’t had one for years. An explanation would be nice.

Yeah…I was very close to throwing mine out. I kept receiving a warning that the printer wasn’t shut down properly. I had no idea that it was turning on and off before I entered the room to retrieve my print job. It’s a good thing I searched first! 🙂

A few of the people that did rush out and buy a new printer last week, reported here that the new printer had same problem….so they boxed it up and returned it and eventually got the original one working with the workaround…..

click here to view the gallery
Announcements