cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What was fixed in the firmware for inkjet printers that continuously reboot or power down?

Contributor

As the title asks the question…what happened that caused all of the printers with internet access to behave the way that they did on the 31st?

I think in the spirit of transparency that we should be given an answer as to what caused the problem. Also, what was added to the firmware update that fixed it? I’m curious because I’m not updating my firmware because changing the DNS manually allows me to print without issue. Is there any benefit to the firmware update other than web services or over the air firmware updates?

11 REPLIES 11

martharitte
Contributor

I am no computer pro, but i was unable to download the updated firmware, and have no idea how to manually change DNS.  I could not get the connection between printer and computer with UBS.  Is this printer worth me persuing profession IT services?  Thought?

What model do you have? My model is the MG7520. If you can disconnect from internet (turn off router, temporarily  unplug modem from router, etc.) it’s very easy to change the DNS under web services. The difference my be that your printer doesn’t have the same menu but it should be very similar to this:

MG7520 Web Services DNS change 

After pausing your internet connection:

• Turn on the printer
  • Slide the lcd printer menu to the right and tap setup
  • Tap Web Service setup
  • Tap DNS server setup
  • Tap manual setup
  • Change the value to 192.168.000.199 (write down the old value in case you want to change it back later)
  • press “OK,” and then press “no” for a secondary DNS server.

Power down your printer and reconnect to the internet. Your printer should now function normally.

The only thing I would change is the DNS IP. Instead of 192.168.00.199 use 000.000.000.001 That seems to be the IP address that Canon support offered during a call.

I have a MX 490

It looks like your path to the dns change on the printer would be:

• Press setup button
  • Use the left/right arrows to find device settings—press ok.
  • Use the left/right arrows to find Firmware Update—press ok.
  • Use the left/right arrows to find DNS Server Setup—press ok.
  • select manual and follow the prompts to change the IP address

Cant make any changes because

1.  Nothing works on printer except looping;

2.  Downloading firmware using Canon web does not work, and

3.  Computer and printer will not communicate with usb

You disconnected your WiFi/internet access before turning on your printer?

exactly. I am not able to do the firmware and no clue re: DNS. Fix this Canon

Janiece87
Contributor

I tried the firmware update and I don’t get the box show in the instruction for number 4-6. I decide to do away with wireless altogether. I bought a usb cord from Amazon. Here are the steps to go the USB route If you choose to. 

Unplug printer and modem

Wait 5 minutes then plug printer back up

Reset wireless network settings to factory default settings

1. Press the Setup button.
  2. Press the right arrow until Device settings appears, then press OK.
  3. Press the right arrow until Reset setting appears, then press OK.
  4. Press the right arrow until LAN settings appears, then press OK.
  5. Press the left arrow to select Yes, then press OK.

Download your printer Driver CD

(If you don’t have it, you can get it free in Canon website. Search your product and download)

Be sure to use a USB cord and you can print now!!

If you have a Mac go in system preference>printers and scanners> delete the printer by clicking it and press “-“ (minus) button (because it’s looking for wireless connection) then press “+” (add) button and it will add your printer back.

I will NEVER use wireless options again. This has been a NIGHTMARE!!! Shame on you Canon!!

cmkessell
Apprentice

I'd be interested to know too.  As far as I can tell the firmware in my Maxify MB5350 hadn't changed (it's version 4.00, and has been for some time), yet suddenly it was rebooting constantly.  

But I suspect Canon will simply pretend the problem never happened. 

Also I wonder how many people, believing their old Canon printer had broken, have rushed out and bought a new machine. 

Announcements