cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to get new MacBook Air to work with PIXMA MG5320

turcopter
Apprentice

My PIXMA MG5320 printer needs a firmware update to 2.0 in order to get AirPrint functionality. I didn’t realize it when I had old MacBook before that died.

Now I just got the new MacBook Air (M2 chip) running macOS 12.5 Monterey and it is seeing the printer as a generic monitor on my network. No driver or Apple software is available, it said go to Canon. I went to Canon site. For MacOS 12, it says no driver. It did show software and I downloaded the Canon IJ Network Tool to my MB Air. I can see my printer now on the WiFi, but I don’t know how to print to it. In Printers and Scanners it sees it as a “Bonjour” kind, but won’t add it at all. I’m really confused. I looked and there’s no Print app for Mac like I have on my iPad and iPhone as a work-around to not having AirPrint capability.

I tried to download the firmware update to get that functionality on the printer, but because of my OS a big No symbol is over the update icon in the folder and I cannot update the printer via the USB cable I connected to it. 

So I borrowed a friend’s Windows laptop to try and do it through that but he is on Windows 11 and there is also no driver for that OS either.  I got the firmware package downloaded, printer connected via USB and able to open the “Printer Update” to Step 1, but I am getting an Error box that it doesn’t see any printer.

Without being able to update the firmware to enable AirPrint, and the MacBook Air not able to add the printer, I’m stuck.

Can anyone recommend how to proceed next? I tried to call Canon and automation man said agent help is not supported for my device and hung up. I’ve searched Apple and Canon forums and don’t know what to do next. The printer still works fine. I don’t have the funds to replace it. Am I stuck with the stopgap step of emailing myself or uploading docs to my iCloud to print them through my Canon Print app on my mobile devices for the foreseeable future? Is Canon going to make a driver for Monterey?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi turcopter,

The PIXMA MG5320 is not supported with macOS v12.  You are eligible for Canon's Upgrade Program. This is for out of warranty units which have been diagnosed to require service, or for some reason are incompatible with a new or upgraded system. This option allows you a one-time opportunity to purchase a replacement product, discounted from the list price.

If you would like to take part in this option, please call our Sales Department at (866) 443-8002 Monday through Saturday, 9am to 9pm. Let them know you have been working with technical support and the Canon Upgrade Program was offered.

You can try installing your PIXMA MG5320 on your friends Windows 11 computer using the Windows 10 driver available here:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/inkjet-multifunction/mg-s...

Once that page loads, please select Windows 10 from the drop down list.  Please download and install the MG5300 series MP Driver and install the PIXMA MG5320 on the Windows 11 computer using a USB cable.

When the installation completes, please print a test page from the Windows 11 computer to make sure that it is working correctly.  Once you have verified that, you can then use the Firmware Update to update the firmware update on your PIXMA MG5320.

Once the firmware is updated you should be able to use Airprint from your Mac, iPad and iPhone with your PIXMA MG5320 to print and scan.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi turcopter,

The PIXMA MG5320 is not supported with macOS v12.  You are eligible for Canon's Upgrade Program. This is for out of warranty units which have been diagnosed to require service, or for some reason are incompatible with a new or upgraded system. This option allows you a one-time opportunity to purchase a replacement product, discounted from the list price.

If you would like to take part in this option, please call our Sales Department at (866) 443-8002 Monday through Saturday, 9am to 9pm. Let them know you have been working with technical support and the Canon Upgrade Program was offered.

You can try installing your PIXMA MG5320 on your friends Windows 11 computer using the Windows 10 driver available here:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/inkjet-multifunction/mg-s...

Once that page loads, please select Windows 10 from the drop down list.  Please download and install the MG5300 series MP Driver and install the PIXMA MG5320 on the Windows 11 computer using a USB cable.

When the installation completes, please print a test page from the Windows 11 computer to make sure that it is working correctly.  Once you have verified that, you can then use the Firmware Update to update the firmware update on your PIXMA MG5320.

Once the firmware is updated you should be able to use Airprint from your Mac, iPad and iPhone with your PIXMA MG5320 to print and scan.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Sorry for the delay, I was just able to borrow the Windows computer back. Thank you, Patrick! I followed your instructions and was able to get the driver installed on that and updated my printer's firmware that way. Success, now I can AirPrint from my Apple devices and new M2 MacBook Air. I appreciate the help! I will look into the upgrade program you described once I have some extra funds to put toward a replacement. Thank you for getting it workable for now.

Hello Patrick, I am in a similar boat... I just bought a new computer with macOS v12, and I have a Canon Pixma 5320 printer also. I used to be able to print CDs using the disc tray, but now it doesn't work, as I get the "Filter Failed" message. Is there any workaround that would make this function work, or would I possibly be eligible for the Upgrade Program, as well?

Thank you for your help!
Ryan 

Hi,

You are eligible for Canon's Upgrade Program as well since the printer is not compatible with your operating system. 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hello Patrick,

I do not want to change my printer canon 5350 series as I manage to print from my AirBook v12 with no problem just I have an issue to download the software Navigator EX for Monterey.  It is very unfair from Canon to not to launch an updated application for Monterey by now. 

Canon cannot do such a things - its is unfair and far from  being professional - it is a  COMMERCIAL CHEATING not to mention far from being ECOLOGICAL and PLANET friendly, you want us to trash super well working printer just because you cannot update software????  

Can you tell me which application to download to be able to scan documents from my Canon 5350 - simple. 

Best regards,

If I can print from AirBook I should be able to download the Navigator to scan - simple.

Hi anna88!

You have reached Canon USA Community Forum and we only support products here in the USA. For information and support in your area, 
you'll want to reach out to Canon in your region. For Switzerland, that would be Canon Europe. They might still support this older model printer, but as Patrick stated earlier, it is no longer supported here in the US. You'll find international contact info here: https://Canon.us/ggdey

We hope this helps!

Thanks for help. In Cannon Europe no one responds, horrible customer service, doesn't want you to buy Canon again. 

It makes no sense and I still believe it is not ECO FRIENDLY to force customers to TRASH perfectly operating hardware just because you cannot upgrade software . 

VERY BAD OF CANON - definitely a great topic for all "GREEN" friendly people to boycott companies like Canon and many others, 

Thanks, but I will never buy a Canon printer again. You expect me to purchase an entirely new printer when the one I have works perfectly fine? So I buy another one with updated drivers and then what happens 5 years from now when it's outdated again? No thanks. I'll find a better brand.

100% agree with you, It is a nonsense and  than Canon will make claims they go GREEN and Climate Change friendly and all this bla bla  - it is a joke, hypocrisy , while they are simply  non recyclable trash generator. 

Announcements