cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too Much Counterfeit Canon Ink Cartridges on Amazon.com

JackWillson
Contributor

There are sooo many fakes on the Amazon platform that I can't tell which Canon 280 281 cartridges are genuine. The pictures on Amazon look exactly the same as the original ones, but the actual ones have nothing to do with it.

When I search for canon 280 281 ink cartridges for canon printers, I get a page like this:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=canon+280+281+ink+cartridges+for+canon+printers、

fake canonfake canon

Can you tell which Canon cartridges are genuine ???

18 REPLIES 18

rs-eos
Elite

It will be difficult, especially with Amazon.   However, one thing you can do is that in your search results, find the filters, and set "Featured Brands" to only include Canon.  That will at least remove all the third party brands.   Also, be sure that the actual item is from the Canon store and check that the item both ships from and is sold by Amazon.

I would though strongly recommend to purchase products from known authorized Canon resellers such as B&H Photo, Adorama, et. al.

e.g. B&H photo carries among others, manufacturer part number #2075C006 (Canon PGI-280/CLI-281 5 color pack for select PIXMA printers)

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Could you please tell me how I can report this situation to Canon? They need to remove all these counterfeit products, otherwise I'll have to consider using an HP or Epson printer.
I am so used to shopping on Amazon that I don't want to find another way.
TKS

I purchased toners from the Canon store website.  Everything was working fine until recently, when the printer received an update via the internet connection, and now my Toner Status reports the toners as counterfeits.  Either there is a bug in the program or Canon decided that it does not want me as a customer.  I hope someone will fix this issue.

If you purchased these directly from us at https://USA.canon.com, you'll want to contact support to determine what's happening. Support is available Monday through Friday at 800-OK-CANON (800-652-2666).

Canon USA does not sell directly on Amazon, however Amazon.com is an authorized dealer when our products are sold and shipped directly from Amazon.com, not from a third party.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

It is a problem. I look to see that the package says Genuine Canon or Canon and has the hologram. Although I guess it might only be time before the scammers get there as well.

Screenshot 2023-05-12 070850.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Canon and Amazon are both going after the counterfeiters 

shadowsports_0-1683899838533.png

shadowsports_1-1683900012381.png

IP: Our Sword, Our Shield | Intellectual Property | Canon Global

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Yes, they've dealt with counterfeit chargers; let's hope they continue to deal with counterfeit cartridges.

normadel
Authority
Authority

For one thing, the packages you show aren't counterfeit. The brand name is "Acaues" or something. So these aren't pretending to be genuine Canon product.

If you want a guarantee of genuine-ness, buy ink directly from Canon. They have deals that make it decently-priced, and shipping is free. Or else, try a non-OEM product and see if it works. 

While the clarification is technically correct, the clear intent of the third party manufacturer is to emulate Canon packaging. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic
click here to view the gallery
Announcements