cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TS9120 prints only black PGBK ink, no colors even on nozzle check sheet.

MrMyke
Contributor

Can anyone please help with this weird problem?

Our 16 month old TS9120 had been working great.  Then the cyan ink cartridge ran dry and was ignored until it must have damaged the printhead. 

By the time I was asked to help, it was obvious the cyan cartridge was totally dry and the yellow was warning to be replaced.  I replaced both the cyan and yellow, went through a cleaning and the cyan wouldn't print at all on a nozzle check. The colors that came out were definitely odd looking without cyan, but the nozzle check sheet still listed all the color rows in the test.  It's just that they were not the right colors and the cyan section was totally blank but for the ID column on the left. 

After a couple of cleanings even the yellow section stopped printing except for in the left column that identified the colors.  Then I did a couple of deep cleanings with no luck.  After reading about what lack of ink does to a printhead, I figured the original printhead was toast, so I ordered a replacement from Canon.

The new printhead arrived from Canon and after installing it, no colors at all would print - only the PGBK black would print.  The left column that identifies the colors had only the one row at the top with the PGBK.  All the other rows were missing.

I switched back to the original printhead (that came with the printer and ran without the cyan ink) and it started the same pattern with the nozzle check sheet - no colors at all, just the black PGBK row at the top of the sheet.

Any ideas?  I thought maybe there was something in the firmware that had a glitch, so I even updated the firmware from 1.3 to 1.4 but that didn't make any difference either.

I've run out of ideas so here I am - can anybody think of something else?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

Hector
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello MrMyke,

In this situation, it looks like the printer needs service. In this situation, you can try reseating the print head one more time to make sure it is properly seated. You can also check the inside right where the ink sits to see if there are any obstructions or dried ink that is preventing the printer from pulling ink into the print head.

Outside of the 1 year warranty, you can contact our sales department at 1-800-385-2155 to use our Upgrade Program. The Upgrade program will give you a discount and free shipping on a replacement printer.

Thanks Hector,
We tried everything and never got it to work.
Unfortunately, the model we like the best isn't availaable any more, so we got a different, more basic model.

rgancedo
Apprentice

I have the same problem, even I replaced the printhead.. I called for service and give me some advices but nothing. Well, the only thing I want is to send my printer for service  they refuse. I dont why. I think I have the right to get support from Canon. Thank you

Hi rgancedo,

It was recommended that you replace the ink tanks that you were using with genuine Canon ink tanks.  Were you able to do that?  If you did and you are still unable to print in color, your PIXMA TS9120 would require service.

If your PIXMA TS9120 does require service, please contact one of Canon's Technical Support Representatives via phone or chat again to obtain your in-warranty options.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements