cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solution Menu EX will not install after uninstall

Manotee
Apprentice

My Canon MX882 All-in-1 would not go online last night. I ran the Wirless easy setup on the printer to make certain it was on my wireless network and it connected. The prinbter still showed offline in printer status.

I unintslled all the Canon sofeware and drivers, and all said they unintslled. I restarted and went through the installs. Everything I instaklled shows up, except Solution Menu EX. It doesn't show up in Programs and features, but when I try to install I get the message "A new version of Canon Solution Menu EX is already installed. This installationb will be canceled."

How do I force a reintsll or remove asnd cleanup the partially installed Canon Solution Menu EX.

This is not earthshattering for me. I have a new laptop on the way and will be reinsatlling everything on it. But it would be nice to install Solution Menu EX for now on my old computer.

Short of reinstalling Window 8.1, is there some easy way to get this problem fixed?

Somne software providers offer a cleanup program to completely remove their products, just for a problem like this. Any chance Canon doies?

I downloaded and install 3rd party software that is supposed to do this, but they couldn't find Canon Solution Menu EX.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I ran into the same problem when installing Canon drivers and software on my new PC. I uninstalled Canon Quick Menu and Solution Menu EX installed. I tried to install Quick menu and it told me it was incompatible with Solution Menu EX.

I went back and read the info on each feature, and found the disclaimer in Quick Menu saying it might uninstall Solution Menu EX before installing Quick Menu, but there was not a corresponding disclaimer in Solution Menu EX info.

Since Solution Menu EX was the feature not installing, I read its info and had not seen any incom[atibility with Quick Menu. The warning message that Solution Menu EX is already installed is incorrect and confusing. It would be nice if the message had an additional disclaimer that Quick Menu is incompatible with Solution Menu EX.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Manotee,

Please try uninstalling the Solution Menu EX through Contorl Panel.  To do this, please follow these steps:

1.  Right-click in the screen’s bottom-left corner and choose the Control Panel from the pop-up menu.

2.  When the Control Panel appears, choose Uninstall a Program from the Programs category.

3.  Click on the Solution Menu EX and then click the Uninstall at the top.

4.  When Windows asks whether you’re sure, click Yes.

Once reinstalled, please download the latest version from Canon's web site:

1.  Visit Canon's website at: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer

2.  Type PIXMA MX882 in the "Enter Your Model Name" box and click GO.

3.  On the Support page for your unit, click the 'Drivers & Software' link in the middle of the page.

4.  Click Software.

5.  Click on the Solution Menu EX.

6.  If you agree, please select the checkbox next to "I have read and agree to the terms of the Disclaimer and wish to continue with the download".

7.  Click on the Download button.

8.  When the Save As box comes up, click Save. 

9.  Once the download is complete, open the Downloads folder.

10.  Double click the file that you just downloaded.

Files will extract.

Follow the prompts and the installation will complete.

Once installed, please click the Solution Menu EX tile to open that program on the Windows Start screen.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I did the uninstall of Solution Menu EX when I uninstalled all my Canon software preparing to reinstall. All programs, including Solution Menu EX indicated they uninstalled successfully. No Canon software appeared in the Programs and Features list.

I reinstalled all software except Solution Menu EX. It starts the install and then gives the message

A new version Canon Solution Menu EX is already installed. The installation will be canceled.

Programs and features does not list Canon Solution Menu EX. I can find remnants of the installation in Program Files(x86)/Canon/Solution Menu EX. I have not looked in the registry, but would expect to see some remnants there. I tried renaming Solution Menu EX to Old Solution Menu EX and install, but still got the message, so I renamed it back to the original. This is why I think there may be remnants in registry.

Since doing an uninstall is not possible, how do I clean out the remains of Canon Solution Menu EX, or force the installation process to ignore them and install over them? Is there a "repair" option for the install?

I got a replacement for my failing new PC yesterday evening. I will initialize it later today and load all my applications and data over the weekend. This should resolve my Canon printer issues, making this item moot.

As soon as my new PC is operational, including all Canon software, I will close this item as unresolved but fixed.

I ran into the same problem when installing Canon drivers and software on my new PC. I uninstalled Canon Quick Menu and Solution Menu EX installed. I tried to install Quick menu and it told me it was incompatible with Solution Menu EX.

I went back and read the info on each feature, and found the disclaimer in Quick Menu saying it might uninstall Solution Menu EX before installing Quick Menu, but there was not a corresponding disclaimer in Solution Menu EX info.

Since Solution Menu EX was the feature not installing, I read its info and had not seen any incom[atibility with Quick Menu. The warning message that Solution Menu EX is already installed is incorrect and confusing. It would be nice if the message had an additional disclaimer that Quick Menu is incompatible with Solution Menu EX.

Announcements