Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set the PC to start scanning Pixma mx922 MAC

jwooley14
Apprentice

Every time I try to scan something I get "Set the PC to start scanning"

Macbook, MAC OS Catalina 10.15.1

Why do I constantly get this message and completely unable to use the scanner?

Also get issues with printing anything, only works approx 25% of the time. I have to unplug and reset my printer and estart my computer or combination of both several times to get it to do a simple print. That is another issue however.

My computer sees the printer sitting idle and will print right now, but it will not scan.

How do I get it to scan?

Thanks!!

4 REPLIES 4

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

What version of the printer driver are you using?

v16.40.0.0 is specific for Catalina.  Apple has pulled 32bit applications support in OS 10.15.  If you upgraded your OS, and didn't update the printer drivers to a supported version,  unexpected behavior night result.

MX922 Support Downloads

If you are not running the current Catalina driver, I suggest you remove the printer and all of its installed software, then reinstall the printer.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Darius
Whiz

Hi, jwooley14.

In addition to what Shadowsports stated, you will need the ICA Driver and Scanner Driver (both found on the same page linked above).  Once all three drivers have been updated, you will need to remove and re-add the printer using those new drivers.

To remove the printer:

1. Open System Preferences and select Printers & Scanners.

2. Select the "Canon MX920 series" from the list of printers.

3. At the bottom of the printer's list on the left side, click the [ - ] to remove the printer.

To add the printer after removing it:

1. At the bottom of the printers list in the Printers & Scanners window, click on the [ + ].

Note: if you get a single-column context menu extending from the button, select Add New Printer or Scanner to open the correct next window.

2. In the list of available printers, select the entry for "Canon MX920 series" listed with "Canon IJ Network" (for Wireless or Wired LAN) or "Canon IJ Multifunction" (for USB) as the kind.

3. Ensure the Use drop-down automatically goes to "Canon MX920 series," then click on Add.  If prompted to confirm, click OK.

Once you've updated it as above, the printer should be able to view the computer across the network.  If it does not, you may need to update the printer's firmware and, if connecting by wifi, move the printer closer to the router (no closer than ~ 2 ft).

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks!

Still getting same message, have reinstalled all new drivers and deleted and added printer several times. 

Waiting on hold with Canon customer support, 32 minutes and still waiting on a human. 🙂

I know it's been over a year, but did you get a resolution? Having the same problem on my Macbook Pro running Maverick. I can print wirelessly with no issue, but my computer is not listed in the 'Select PC' menu. The only option there is Local (USB). It is driving me crazy!

Announcements