cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Says Out of Paper

wornyesterday
Apprentice

My Pixma MX870 is saying I'm out of paper and it isn't out of paper. I have taken paper out and put it back in. It keeps saying out of paper and I have to print something important. What do I do?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi wornyesterday,

The issue is the printers computability with OS Mojave. Although Canon does not have updated drivers or software that were developed for use with the PIXMA MX870 when used under the Mac OS Mojave (10.14) operating system, you can try downloading and installing the Mac OS 10.11 El Capitan versions of the drivers and software from the Canon USA website here to see if this will allow you to scan under your operating system. 

You will want to download and install the CUPS, Scanner and ICA Drivers from the DRIVERS section of the webpage, and the MP Navigator program from the SOFTWARE section of the page.  If you are using the printer wirelessly, you will also want to install the Canon IJ Network Tool from the SOFTWARE section of the page. 

Prior to downloading the drivers, please ensure that the El Capitan operating system is selected in the "Operating System" field on the page so that drivers for that operating system are displayed.  Please also install the items in the order listed above.  Please be sure to install the Canon IJ Network Tool last if connecting the printer wirelessly.

Please note, since the El Capitan versions of the drivers and software were developed prior to Mojave being released, they may not work with the Mojave operating system.  Also, in the event that they do work, we cannot guarantee that they will work if a future Mac OS update or upgrade is installed on your Mac.

You also qualify for the Canon Upgrade Program.

This is for out of warranty units which have been diagnosed to require service or are incompatible with a new or upgraded system. This program allows you the opportunity to purchase a replacement product discounted from the list price. Free ground shipping is included with your purchase.

If you would like to take advantage of this offer, please call our Sales Department at (866) 443-8002 seven days a week, 8 AM to midnight EST.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

ArthurJ
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi wornyesterday,

We will need some more information to narrow down the issue. Please reply with the answers to the following:

1. Are you printing from Windows or Mac and if so what version are you running?
  2. If you not printing from a computer are you printing from a smartphone or table?
  3. Does this issue happen if you make a copy directly from the printer?

We look forward to your reply

1. I am printing from Mac and the version is 10.14.4

3. I tried printing a copy by putting a paper in the printer and it printed fine. 

Hi wornyesterday,

The issue is the printers computability with OS Mojave. Although Canon does not have updated drivers or software that were developed for use with the PIXMA MX870 when used under the Mac OS Mojave (10.14) operating system, you can try downloading and installing the Mac OS 10.11 El Capitan versions of the drivers and software from the Canon USA website here to see if this will allow you to scan under your operating system. 

You will want to download and install the CUPS, Scanner and ICA Drivers from the DRIVERS section of the webpage, and the MP Navigator program from the SOFTWARE section of the page.  If you are using the printer wirelessly, you will also want to install the Canon IJ Network Tool from the SOFTWARE section of the page. 

Prior to downloading the drivers, please ensure that the El Capitan operating system is selected in the "Operating System" field on the page so that drivers for that operating system are displayed.  Please also install the items in the order listed above.  Please be sure to install the Canon IJ Network Tool last if connecting the printer wirelessly.

Please note, since the El Capitan versions of the drivers and software were developed prior to Mojave being released, they may not work with the Mojave operating system.  Also, in the event that they do work, we cannot guarantee that they will work if a future Mac OS update or upgrade is installed on your Mac.

You also qualify for the Canon Upgrade Program.

This is for out of warranty units which have been diagnosed to require service or are incompatible with a new or upgraded system. This program allows you the opportunity to purchase a replacement product discounted from the list price. Free ground shipping is included with your purchase.

If you would like to take advantage of this offer, please call our Sales Department at (866) 443-8002 seven days a week, 8 AM to midnight EST.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Oy. A lot of tech stuff to do. Thank you for your help. I appreciate your time.

I have read every single thread i can find on this and it appears there is no set solution. I cannot print with my 4 month old laser printer. My Model is MF632c dw  The settings are constantly changing and I go from one problem to another. This is by far the longest running problem

I just read the reply to out of paper....I'll answer the questions this support site always asks.....

1. Which paper size is displayed on the Standby screen?  A4

2. Which version of Windows or macOS are you using? High Sierra 10.13.6

3. When you open the printing preferences on the computer, which page size is selected?   US Letter

4.  Are you able to make a copy directly from the glass or feeder?  NO I am not

Hi photo1257.

It sounds like you are using Letter-sized paper with the printer. Please change the paper settings on the printer from A4 to LTR. Follow the steps below to change the paper size:

1. Select <Paper Settings> in the Home screen.

2. Select the target paper drawer.

•  is displayed only when the optional cassette feeding module is installed.

3. Select the paper size in the <Frequently Used Sizes> tab.

• If the loaded paper size is not displayed, select <Other Sizes> tab.

4. Select the paper type.

If you are using A4 paper, then you will need to set the printing preferences on the computer to match the A4 setting. 

If you continue to experience an issue, or the LTR saving is not saved, it is recommended that you call us at 1-800-OK-CANON (652-2666), Monday - Friday 10:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. ET (excluding holidays).

Josh2
Apprentice

We ordered an MF6462 cdw for my office and I set up the machine. I adjusted the paper setting to LTR and to Plain 2 because we are using 20.75 lb paper. I can print from my laptop without issue however when any of my team tries to print we get a yellow error light and a message that says we are out of paper. I just checked and we are not out of paper.

Announcements