Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printer on and off continuously

NicolaeSfetcu
Apprentice

Hello,

The printer is MX495.

I did not us it for a while and today, when I started it, it turns on and off each 5 seconds.

All the printer buttons are blocked, including the power button (I cannot turn it off from the power button).

While the printer is on, no matter if I open or not the front cover, the cartridge holder moves continuously left and right without stopping.

There is a single word displayed on the display: ”Canon”.

Can you help me with an advice to eliminate this problem?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ArthurJ
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi,

Based on your description, I would recommend contacting our phone support team for additional assistance. They can be reached by logging into your My Canon Account and going to your support options.

Please be advised, if you are outside of the United States, I recommend contacting the branch of Canon for your region. You may find the correct website using the map on the Canon Global website: http://global.canon/en/support/

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

64 REPLIES 64

did you try the workaround?  My mx492 has been working fine since I did that....... it is wirelessly connected only - and is printing from iphone, ipad, windows10 and windows xp systems all normally.  I did have to reinstall the printers on both windows systems to get the systems to find the printer again.not sure if that was really from the canon problem or something I did to it while trying to diagnose problem.but it was easier to just delete the printer, reinstall driver (as a precaution) and then add printer- did that on each windows system........    I haven't installed the new firmware 'fix' - don't trust it to not mess it up again from the comments i am seeing..........

lorenepler
Contributor

Curious if you all still have this same issue when printer is not connected to wifi (router is off). In a similar thread for the MG7520, when wifi is unavailable, the printer boots up and behaves as expected. Which would seemingly point to a firmware issue...

If I turn off my router, then turn my printer on it behaves normally. I tried setting up my WiFi again and as soon as the WiFi kicked on, it started being possessed and cycling again. 10000% this is something Canon did in an update of some sort. (I'm using my phone so I can't even blame Windows...) 

Same for me!

clp
Apprentice

Can the good folks at Canon at least tell us something?? Tell us you're at least aware of the issue. If you pushed an update that jacked up the firmware then fix it or roll back the changes. It's simple. I know it is because I was in this line of work. Just tell us you're working on the issue or roll back the changes.

We need this printer in our business. We're all experiencing the same issue at the same time. The printer is stuck rebooting itself. Will you please help us? Please

Tonylmiller
Contributor

I started the printer without internet access and it started up just fine.

emailman
Apprentice

For what it's worth, I have a Maxify MB2320 printer behaving the same way: cycling on and off.  Following the suggestions here, I pulled the plug on the wireless router and the printer came up as expected.  I then disable the wifi connection on the printer and everything is OK. Fortunately, I can use the printer via a hardwired USB connection to one of my PCs.  Much thanks to those who posted this work around.

I have the same printer and had to do the same thing...hook it up wired with USB in order to be able to use it, but only from my computer, since my wireless devices can no longer see it.  This is not the fix I hoped for.

Riverclyder
Apprentice

The problem is the wireless connection,  there are plenty folks who suddenly have the same issue.  I got around it by running a cable between my PC and printer so I'm not using a wireless connection.  It works for me.  

Update: It only works when I have the Internet off.  I re-installed the printer drivers in order to configure the printer through the hard cable.  But it didn't solve the cycling/restarting problem.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements