cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma MG7720 set up app won't open on iMac

toltrider
Contributor

I was able to use this printer wirelessly for quite a while but I no longer can. I uninstalled the printer and software. I turned off and unplugged printer, restarted my Netgear 98 modem. 

I downloaded and installed the software and drivers for this printer from Canon site. I restarted iMac, currently running Mohave 10.14.6. Plugged in printer, turned it on. IMac could not find it so I connected it with the cable so I could add it. 

Of interest, when I try to open CanonIJ start up app, the app immediately closes without doing anything.  IS this the source of my problem? What can I do to run it? 

Is there an additional issue that won't allow a wireless connection? What can I do to fix?  Am so frustrated with this that I am thinking of smashing the printer to bits and buy an Epson! Thanks for any help.

12 REPLIES 12

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi toltrider,

Please follow these steps:

1.  Press the Home button on your PIXMA MG7720

2.  Swipe the screen from left to right and tap the wrench and screwdriver icon

3.  Select Device settings

4.  Select LAN settings

5.  Select Confirm LAN settings

6.  Select WLAN setting list

Take note of the SSID and the IPv4 address.

On your computer, please click the Wi-Fi icon in the upper right corner of your screen (near the time).

Is the network name that your Mac is connected to the exact same name that was listed for the SSID on your MG7720?

If it is, next, please open Safari.  In the address bar at the top of Safari, please type the IPv4 address of your MG7720.

Are you able to access the remote user interface of your MG7720?

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

SSID is same on printer and computer.  

There is no address listed for IPv4.  I printed out the list for Network Configuration Page.  Many of the various items state "enable".  Those are Wireless LAN, Infrastructure, TCP/IPv4, TCP/IPv6.  Inactive is listed for Connection (under Infrastructure), WEP Key Length, IPsec.  For Direct Connection it says "Disable".  

Under "Other Settings", there are 3 "enables" and One "Disable".  If you need those, please let me know.

What are my next steps? Thank you.

Hi toltrider,

Please follow these steps:

1.  Press the HOME button on your MG7720

2.  Swipe the screen and select the wrench and screwdriver button

4.  Select LAN settings

5.  Select Other settings

6.  Select TCP/IP settings

7.  Select IPv6.  Select Yes if it appears

8.  Select Enable/disable IPv6

9.  Select Disable

10.  Press the HOME button.

Next, please turn your MG7720 off.  Wait 30 seconds and then turn it back on

Once on, please view the WLAN setting list again

Do you now have an IPv4 Address listed?

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

still no IPv4 address. 

Next, let's reconnect to the wireless network:

1.  Press the Home button on your PIXMA MG7720

2.  Swipe the screen from left to right and tap the wrench and screwdriver icon

4.  Select LAN settings

5.  Select Wireless LAN setup.  If a message appears regarding the WPS button, press the STOP button on your MG7720 1 time

6.  Select Standard setup

7.  Select your wireless network from the list

8.  Tap the screen to enable the on-screen keyboard so you can enter your wireless network's password

once enetered, press OK and OK again.

Your PIXMA MG7720 will attempt to connect to your wireless network

Does it have an IPv4 address now?

Short answer is no, there is no IPv4 address.  In the first line in WLAN setting list, Connection is listed as "Inactive".  Is that important?

Specific to your instructions, #5 Select Wireless LAN setup.  If a message appears regarding WPS button, press the STOP button on your MG7720 1 time.  I don't know what you mean by a message re WPS button.  On that page, there is a field that says WPS (Push button method).  Is that the message you are referring to?  if so, the STOP button is not available.  If this is not what you meant, when I select Standard Setup, the printer cannot locate the wireless router. I manually enter the Router name (SSID), I get an ERROR message, which says wireless router not detected. It says to restart wireless router.

I restarted the wireless router, but the printer still cannot locate router.

I went out of Tools, and went to LAN Settings. In that section, the printer finds the router, but even though I typed in password correctly, printer does not connect.

Would a RESET of the entire printer help?  I expect the problem is that there is something selected somewhere that is incorrect and won't permit hook-up.

Just to be sure, I do not have the printer connected by cable to the iMac. is that correct? If I go to Utilities, Printers and Scanners, the printer is listed as "off-line", last used.  If I delete the printer, and then hit + to add printer, more than one printer will show. I have deleted the printer that does not say, "last used". I am wondering if there is a problem here. 

Hi toltrider,

Let's activate the wireless LAN:

1.  Press the HOME button on your MG7720.

2.  Swipe the screen from left to right to select the wrench and screwdriver icon.

3.  Select Device settings.

4.  Select LAN settings.

5.  Select Change LAN.

6.  Select Activate wireless LAN.

7.  Press the HOME button.

Once set, please attempt to connect using the Standard Setup method again.

nothing works.  Sometimes it finds the router but mosstly not. If router found, password entered does not work (even though it IS entered correctly).  I reset the entire printer, still no help, but it did change the name SSID to BJNPSETUP.  

My router works on everything else so I don't think it is that. If it is, I don't know how to fi that.

I hate this printer!!!!!!!!

None of your suggestions worked. What now?  Network Config printout shows connection as "Inactive", I found an IPv4 address when I did something, but can't remember what I did. I manually entered it.  The page that comes

after selecting  IPv4 has IP Address, DNS server and Proxy Server.

What goes in DNS and Proxy Server fields?

Is this problem with the printer, router or computer? 

Announcements