cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma MG7520 turns on but shuts off before I can access menu

leafstar
Apprentice

My Canon MG7520 was working perfectly until yesterday. It kept shutting itself off yesterday. Today it would start the process of turning on, but turn off before it would get to the menu. I know it's getting older, but it's worked so well until now. Is there anything I can do?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SamanthaW

Your satisfaction is important to us, and we apologize for any inconvenience you may be experiencing.  A firmware update is available to fully resolve this issue.   You can download the firmware update and find easy installation instructions HERE.  Just click where it says "Software & Drivers" to get started.

[Link updated.]

View solution in original post

78 REPLIES 78

If you have got to the point that your printer no longer shuts off (turn off your WiFi in your house and turn on your printer and see if it stays on) THEN you should be able to get to the menus on the printer screen. Look through the menus and look for "reset" it should give you options to reset it. Some will have a "factory reset" others just "reset" touch reset and say yeah your sure (yes) Let it go through the Wiggly Woo magic stuff and Timey Whimey stuff. (Abracadabra, Kalamazoo, Shazam, what-ever) It should now be Reset. (Not talking down to you, just trying to make you laugh, its hard for me to not be silly)

I tried all of that several times and I never saw the word reset on my printer but I did see something that said cable less and I clicked on that which didn’t do anything either. I have tried everything I have read and thought of several times. No doubt I have missed a trick here and there. But I have had no success. Like others, I was not able to download the recommended software after many tries. Rather I couldn’t get it to move on and install. I will try to call Cannon tomorrow but maybe they’re closed forever, who knows?

Susan did you search for my post. "EASY FIX" if your printer won't stay on? If you found that and changed your DNS to .000.000.000.001 and it still isn't working you would be the first to have it not work of dozens of people who have done that and it worked for. If you haven't found it, please do. Your problems will be over. 

Sheri, thank you for your thoughtful reply. When I finally got in touch with Canon, he showed me how to swipe the other way and get to what you were recommending which I did not do. My mistake!!. But he had many many more things than which he did that accomplished the installation of the required software which I would never ever have been able to do on my own. It’s all good now!

With MX492 the printer powers on, but the input pad/buttons including the power button are totally unresponsive.  The yellow/green indicator light continually flashes.  I don't have the router turned on and I turn off WiFi on my laptop, USB is connected from laptop to printer.  When I run your update program there is a "Printer cannot be found" message.  Can you clarify your update instructions? 

****Turn off your HOUSE WIFI to be able to get your printer to work long enough to do anything.*** Your printer connecting to the WiFi is part of the problem and is why your printer keeps shutting off.  Down load the installer so you have it on your computer, turn off your house-hold WiFi then deal with the printer. The WiFi router needs to be turned off once you download the installer. THEN the printer should allow you to do things with it. You will need to install your printer as a USB printer or you will get the message "Printer not found."

Hi, I followed the instructions someone else gave below to turn off wireless to be able to turn the machine on and print again. Now I can also not scan, even when the USB cord is plugged in.

Thanks

The problem is that the printer keeps turning itself OFF. But your printer needs to be turned ON in order to install the firmware update. Every time I attempt the install, the printer shuts off before installation hardly begins. Please advise.

I don't have the USB cable to connect the printer to my computer.  Is there a way around this?

See my solution.  You don't need a USB cable to fix this problem, just change your DNS as instructed here: Easy Fix if your printer won't turn on 

Announcements