cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma MG5220 print quality issues.

bc6152
Apprentice

I use aftermarket ink cartridges since the machine was new. Recently I started to see print issues where strips of text would not print out or irregular sized blotches of missing print. Sometimes the missing print goes completely across the paper that suggested to me that there might be a roller problem. In any case, I deep cleaned, cleaned the rollers numerous times, cleaned the bottom tray, aligned the print head and cleaned the nozzles. The issue is getting worse instead of better. I downloaded a new driver and installed it. No change. I also changed the existing cartridges to all new ones, again they are aftermarket. This is a Windows 7 OS and the printer is on a home network. The printing issues occur whether using the network or from a PC connected by ethernet cable. I thought of buying all Canon factory cartridges to see if that eliminated the problem but I can buy a new printer for what they cost. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

BC

7 REPLIES 7

Schnekser
Contributor

I've been experiencing almost the exact same issue over the past couple of months.  I use after market ink too and have never had problems with that.  What I'll add is that I've gone through every maintenance action like nozzle cleaning, printhead alignment, feed roller alignment, etc.  Every time I print a test sheet from the printer's properties menu, it prints flawlessly - FLAWLESSLY.  When I print a document or form from a PC, there are very consistent areas of no ink in the printed form/document.  This makes me think that there may be something in the firmware that has become corrupted since test sheets that actually originate from within the printer come out fine and anything sent from the PC (actually I used two different PCs with exactly the same results) has the poor quality/missing (spotty) ink issue.  I really don't know though.

I tried sending a note to Canon, but I thought the forum might be able to shed some light on this.

Thanks.

Hello Schnekser,

Does this issue occur when using Canon inks?

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

No and I've not had problems before.  Let me restate the symptoms:

1.  Printed documents from Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Notepad, etc. have blotches of missing text/ink in consistent places on the pages.

2.  Nozzle check forms print perfectly with no blotches.

3.  If I save a document as a PDF and then print it, the document prints perfectly.

4.  If I use the machine in the "copy" mode, the copy is perfect with no blotches.

5.  I've conducted all these actions using two separate PCs (a desktop and a laptop).

6.  I can print the same documents on an older Canon i960 printer with no problems (and that printer has been using after-market ink for a couple of years.

A set of Canon ink cartridges costs $78 at Staples.  I order a larger set from an after-market vendor for anywhere between $25 and $35.  I can buy a new MG5220 from Walmart for $78.  I don't want to spend $78 for another printer, I want the software or firmware fix for this problem.

Please explain why not using Canon ink would cause the printer to print PDFs, copies, and machine generated test sheets, but not Word, Excel, PowerPoint, or HTML pages from the web.  Again, I do not believe the PCs are the problem because they can print everything mentioned above to another printer with no problems.  Might this be a built-in obsolesence bug so folks go out and buy a new copier?  I kind of doubt it.

Anyway, after several email exchanges Canon Customer Care has finally stated I need to take the copier in for service OR they will send me a special discount coupon for purchase of a new machine. 

Apart from this issue, which I consider critical, I've been pleased with the machine.  It does use a lot of ink.  I don't know the answer to that.

Are from Canon?  Are you employed by Canon USA?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Hello.

If the issue still persists after the steps you have performed, we would have to advise that you contact our Technical Support Group for additional assistance.

Please visit the following link:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/contact_us_consumer

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks for the recommendation.  I've contacted Technical Support Group and, after several exchanges and troubleshooting steps, was told that the printer needs servicing or they could send me a discount coupon for a new printer.  In other words, I really didn't get a solution.  As I stated in a previous entry, a full set of ink Canon ink costs $78+ and a new printer costs about $89.  I just wanted my printer to last longer than a year and change.  I had thought we had a great unit, but it doesn't do simple document printing.  I can copy flawlessly.  I can scan PDFs all day long.  I can't print any document from either of my two computers. 

- Mike

Did you ever get a satisfactory resolution to this issue?  I am experiencing the same exact thing on my MG6620.

Hello.

If you have any difficulties after cleanings or deep cleanings have been done, please contact our support group using the "Contact Us" link below.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Find more help at Contact Us.

Announcements