cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma IP8720 ink questions

Cwmn
Contributor

Received a Pixma IP8720 for Christmas. In the past I’ve used several wide format printers and have missed the ability to print something larger than letter or tabloid size, especially since I love landscape photography. The IP7820 seemed like a reasonable purchase to see the viability of having an in between sized printer. Tonight I printed my first six photos on some semigloss paper I had on hand. At first I was quite impressed, but two events slightly dotted my excitement. The first was seeing in my print queue that the cartridges were at 60% capacity after 6 letter size prints. Yes, I did print them at max resolution but still… Secondly on print had a couple of drops of water on the print which ruined the photo. So two questions:

1. Does this printer eat ink or are these starter cartridges? 

2. Will the IP7820 give me water proof, fade proof archival quality prints or not?

Thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@Cwmn wrote:

You're correct. I have a Pixma IP 8720. So all the questions should be about the 8720

The ip8720 uses ChromaLife 1oo+ inks.

From the Canon site for the printer: 

"ChromaLife100+: This system combines enhanced FINE print head technology with select genuine Canon photo papers and inks for beautiful borderless photos that will last up to 300 years when stored in an archival-quality photo album.7"

These are dye inks and are not water resistant.

This article will give you some facts on the printer: Canon Pixma iP8720 Review (redrivercatalog.com)

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

View solution in original post

I don’t know for your printer specifically, but none of the several (8 or more) Canon printers I have purchased ever had cartridges marked Starter. 
The initial startup does require purging of the feed and print head which does consume ink. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Kristoff
Rising Star

Thanks for joining the conversation, Cwmn!

So that the Community can help you better, we need to know exactly which Canon printer model you're using.  I fear you might have made a typo (we do not manufacture a printer with the model number of ip7820, mabye ip8720 or ip7720 is your model number?). That, and any other details you'd like to give will help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is a time-sensitive matter, click HERE search our knowledge base or find additional support options HERE.

Thanks and have a great day!

You're correct. I have a Pixma IP 8720. So all the questions should be about the 8720

@Cwmn wrote:

The ip8720 uses ChromaLife 1oo+ inks.

From the Canon site for the printer: 

"ChromaLife100+: This system combines enhanced FINE print head technology with select genuine Canon photo papers and inks for beautiful borderless photos that will last up to 300 years when stored in an archival-quality photo album.7"

These are dye inks and are not water resistant.

This article will give you some facts on the printer: Canon Pixma iP8720 Review (redrivercatalog.com)

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Thanks for the answer and link!

Regards!

Any clue why after five 8.5x11 prints 3 cartridges are reporting 35% of the ink is used? Are these starter cartridges or ?

I don’t know for your printer specifically, but none of the several (8 or more) Canon printers I have purchased ever had cartridges marked Starter. 
The initial startup does require purging of the feed and print head which does consume ink. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

I’m not sure if I replied to you last time or not. But my new printer is a Pixma IP8720, thanks for catching and pointing out the error. Now perhaps I can get a reply?

normadel
Authority
Authority

You answered your own question about waterproofness. If you had water spots, obviously the print isn't waterproof.

Archival quality is mostly dependent on the paper being acid-free. The paper manufacturer could tell you that.

Canon could, possibly, tell you about fade resistance. That depends on how the prints are displayed/stored.

Announcements