cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Photos/Flyers print great, but smudge easily. How do I fix this? is the print-head not getting hot?

Nsbohn
Apprentice

I have a Canon PIXMA MX452. Using Canon Ink Cartridges.  When I print a full page(8.5x11), or slightly smaller than full page image on glossy paper, the print quality looks great... until you touch it.  The ink smudges and gets all over your hands, and then the print is ruined.  Someone told me this could mean the printer isn't getting hot enough?

How do I fix this?

6 REPLIES 6

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Are you using glossy photo paper? What you are describing frequently results from using 1. non-photo paper or 2. printing on wrong side of photo paper. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I've tried multiple photo paper products and have the same result. I'm definitely printing on the correct (glossy) side. I'm of the opinion this issue can't be blamed on the paper, as glossy paper, non photo, should still not smudge, even if the print quality isn't as good.

There's no heat involved. The ink dries by absorption and evaporation.

What brand of paper are you using?  What brand of ink?

You say "glossy paper, non-photo"should not smudge.

Yes, a glossy paper that is not porous (enough) will smudge.

Exactly. Dye ink is basically colored water. It needs to be absorbed into the paper surface. Photo paper is designed to do that. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

What brand and type paper are you using?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements