cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Photo Printing on Pixma G6020 -- poor colors

mplezia
Contributor

Just set up a Pixma G6020.  Working great, set up was fine and I'm generally happy with it.  But, photo printing has been poor.  The basic problem is that photos come out underexposed, slightly desaturated, and with a warmer yellow tone than the file on-screen.  The problem is worst printing straight from Capture One.  But printing the same file exported from Capture One and printed from the Easy PhotoPrint Editor is better, but not very close to the on-screen image.  Also, printing from the iPhone Print app is similar to the result from the PhotoPrint software. 

I didn't buy the printer specifically for photo prints, but I'm quite puzzled by the color issues.

Any tutorials or support for dialing in colors on this printer?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The settings look correct. I don't have anything more I can suggest.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Have you performed a nozzle check?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Thanks jrhoffman.  I had not printed a nozzle check prior to my post.  But, have now done so and it looks fine -- no missing lines and all colors look even and clear.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Download and print from your photo software the test image from this website:

Printing Insights #49 (outbackphoto.com)

Do not make any adjustments to the image, regardless of how it looks on your monitor.

Verify that your media type and ICC profile are correct.

Report back how the print looks.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Thanks for your continued help jrhoffman.

The link to the test photo from outbackphoto is dead.  But, I found a high-resolution jpg from an alternate source. 

The photo looked good on screen.  Printed with PhotoPrint (with and without fotofix) and the results were similar to my previous results, but more subtle.  Most specifically, the reds and yellows are not as bright and vibrant in the print.  E.g., the aspens and the sunflower are dull yellow and the strawberries are just flat, not bright. 

Printed in Capture One, the results were the same as previously -- slightly underexposed, with warm tint and flat colors throughout.

Overall the print quality is good -- lots of fine details and good gradation from black to white.  Clearly, there is a problem with how Capture One is managing the colors.  PhotoPrint is close, but still slightly off. 

Are you letting the printer manage color or are you having the app manage color?

Can you post a screenshot of the print dialogue box?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Capture One DialogCapture One DialogPrinter Main SettingsPrinter Main SettingsPrinter Quick SettingsPrinter Quick Settings

Those are what I see in Capture One. I have played with the manual adjustments a little, with no noticeable effect in the output. 

PhotoPrint doesn't give me access to those adjustments.

The settings look correct. I don't have anything more I can suggest.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Thanks for taking the time.  I think I've come to two conclusions about it.

1. Capture One is doing something wonky that I have to sort out with Capture One, or just edit to export to print via Canon's software.

2. The printer is functioning within some acceptable range  -- given the clarity of the detail and gradation from light to dark.  It will serve its purpose, but "important" prints will probably need to be sent to a print shop.

Thanks again for your help John.

rtpinto
Apprentice

I bought the G6020 a fwe weeks ago and I cannot print a single good, or even reasonable quality picture.  The printouts come up very pale, as if the printer were running out of ink.  What can I do?

Announcements