cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA TR4720 Error 1682

PatrickTT
Contributor

PIXMA TR4720 from Bizarroland. Cartridge issue

Pixma tr4700 as stated. Probably less than a year old and have been generally happy with it. Light use, mostly B&W printing. Naturally with tax time here, I'm using it a little more often.

Anyway, complaint #1 (somewhat unrelated) The black cartridge that came with it seemed as though it had little or almost no ink in it. Ran out almost immediately. Ehh, ok. Gotta make the $$ somehow. Fine, I replaced it.

#2. The printer would not let me print anything in BLACK AND WHITE because the color cartridge finally ran out. Ok, fine, replaced it. This is where the trouble started.

I printed one sheet, then it beeped, and returned an error 1682 INSTALL CARTRIDGES CORRECTLY. BLK. ??? I didn't touch the black!

Went through the motions and double checked. Yep, they're in fine. I put the empty color cartridge back in just to see what happens, and it returned the same error message. REALLY?

This could very well be my third and final Canon Printer. I like the way they work, and the ok so-so software that comes with it. The wireless connected without a hitch, which my last Canon would do when it felt like it, but usually not.

So, here I am at tax time, I need to print some stuff and I'm stuck with another dead pile of plastic and wires that hasn't even been through 2 complete ink cartridge changes.

An earlier search yielded a result that said to CHANGE THE INK CARTRIDE AND IF THAT DOESN'T WORK, WARRANTY IT basically. Yeah, like I have the original box, right. Not the least bit helpful.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

ArthurJ
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi,

Since the printer is in it's 1 year warranty, I recommend reaching out to Canon support for your warranty options. You will need to register your Canon gear HERE to access additional support options.

We look forward to hearing from you. 

View solution in original post

Well, here's what I did. I consumed some alcohol (Jack Daniels), took an extra Xanax that I found buried deep in the memory pile, and slept on it. (Haven't taken any of those in almost a year) I figured, WTH, I'll give it one more, just one more shot before I launch it into the dumpster. I bought another, yet another set of ink cartritge$$ and tried again. Saints be Praised, it worked. At least for now. All it cost me was yet another obscenely priced ink cartridges, even after the first replacement set printed out a whopping single page. I guess expecting more was just silly of me. I'm old now, and somewhat calm compared to who I used to be. In the past I would l have taken it to the range and shot the bejesus out of it for just a little satisfaction. I'm OK now. Honest.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

PatrickTT
Contributor

Who is Danny, and why did he edit my post?

Hi, PatrickTT!  To make your post more helpful to other users, I changed your post's subject line to more accurately reflect the problem you were experiencing.  Your original subject line is now in the body of the post.  Hope that clears things up!

ArthurJ
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi,

Since the printer is in it's 1 year warranty, I recommend reaching out to Canon support for your warranty options. You will need to register your Canon gear HERE to access additional support options.

We look forward to hearing from you. 

Well, here's what I did. I consumed some alcohol (Jack Daniels), took an extra Xanax that I found buried deep in the memory pile, and slept on it. (Haven't taken any of those in almost a year) I figured, WTH, I'll give it one more, just one more shot before I launch it into the dumpster. I bought another, yet another set of ink cartritge$$ and tried again. Saints be Praised, it worked. At least for now. All it cost me was yet another obscenely priced ink cartridges, even after the first replacement set printed out a whopping single page. I guess expecting more was just silly of me. I'm old now, and somewhat calm compared to who I used to be. In the past I would l have taken it to the range and shot the bejesus out of it for just a little satisfaction. I'm OK now. Honest.

Announcements