cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA MX922 with error code B200 (Series MX920)

gnc
Contributor
How do you clear the B200 Support Code on my Printer? I can't do anything with the printer until the B200 code is removed and does not pop up as soon as I power up the printer. AND what causes the B200 code to be active all of a sudden?? My printer is no longer in warranty, but has worked fine until this code issue appeared all of a sudden! Your nearest service center is over 250 miles away----hardly worth while to keep printer if no "work a round" is provided, and I doubt I'd buy another Canon if this issue is not resolved!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

gnc
Contributor
I found how to remove & replace the print head (after cleaning it up a bit), but I still get the B200 Support Code. Does this mean I must buy a new print head???

View solution in original post

155 REPLIES 155

springers2
Apprentice

I did every concievable thing to get rid of the B200 so I found someone who suggested reinstall the drivers...It worked!!!  Good luck and stay well!!

Rick

NeedaFix
Contributor
Uninstalling the printers, scanner, faxes from the PC, going to the Canon website and reinstalling the drivers did not fix the B200 error with either mode of how the printer us connected to network or wired to PC. BUMMER.

nipu011
Apprentice

Hello,

I have got an update on MX922 B200 error fixing for those who have tried washing with ethanol/Isopropyl alcohol and tap water mixture(50:50) and other washing with no luck. You will have to mask the top left 3 pin terminals of the printhead to have the error gone (1st photo). It will leave you with the PGBK cartridge non-functional(see the second photo). Then when you print, you will have to use the photo-black cartridge as your PGBK cartridge. To do that select the paper type as high-resolution paper from the printing preferences (see the third photo). This fix will be applicable for you if you have a PGBK defunct printhead. I did not know about the mine of PGBK defunct before fixing it. I kinda fixed it blindly.

Thanks to everyone here. You all helped in one/another way to fix the problem. It took two days almost  🙂

Mask top left three pin terminals125456746_1842889422535351_3755300726058224633_n.jpgHigh resolution paper as media type.png

I have done nothing with the printer for several days. after reading about masking over the three pins I decided to try that.

I turned on the printer and when I did test print the B200 came back. I did the routine to pull the print head, put clear tape over the pins and when I tried to print the nozzel pattern the B200 returned. I got B200 on 2nd try too.  I will remove the tape from the pins.

Probably the problem is not with the pgbk cartridge in your case. May be another cartridge circuitry is gone. Try cleaning the printhead with ipa or ethanol water mixture. HV pin masking for cartridge other than pgbk will be different. Thanks.

B200 error is gone, now it doesn't print ink.

After replacing multiple componets in my MacBook Pro I had some time tonight to take on the MX922. I removed the print head again and ran some water over it, dried it off somewhat. Using a #0 Phillips I started to remove the two screws holding on the white plastic block. These screws are in tight and I only removed them about 75%. Didn't want to strip the head. Another rinse and dry and tightened the screws. Put the print head in and tried to print the nozzle test pattern.  THERE WAS NO B200 ERROR, and not nozzle pattern. Pulled the print head, tighted the screws again, etc.. There was no B200 erroe and no ink pattern. ran the nozzle clean and again no nozzle pattern.
  But wow!! no B200 and paper fed through three times in a row. Pretty sure no ink is fixable but not doing it tonight.  Good thing it is Cyber Monday because I have over five hours to shop for a new printer. 

mnigkoa
Apprentice

Nothing has worked. Tried for hours. This is my third MX922. The first one died with B200 after two years. The second one also lasted 2 years, and I remember trying all sorts of printhead cleaning with alcohol and hot water on that, to no avail. I swore up and down, but couldn't find a better printer. This thing has Ethernet, duplex document feeder (which is insane to me), normal scanning, CD printing, small photo paper printing, you name it. It was only like $130 the first time I bought it, $180 the second time, and now it's on Amazon for $370, seven years after its introduction.

But alas, my third MX922, after three years, is dead. I decided to go ahead and buy a new printhead. Let's see if that'll resolve this issue for another 3 years.

Wishing you the best with #3. I bought an HP laser and never looked back. Works flawlessly

floridafairy
Contributor

I got this error message just as I was congratulating myself on how happy I was that my old Cannon Pixma 922 that I bought in 2016 was working wiith my new Windows 10 laptop when bam! Error B200 and the printer stopped working and said I had to take it to a repair shop! Agh!  So I came here for help as it is off my extended warrantee and the other economical remedy is to purchase a new printer, which I really am not wanting to do. I'm glad I came here. Reading the tips I tried turning the printer on and off and then thought perhaps trying to clean the printer cartridges with alcohol was a good place to start digging into the problem, no harm in trying. One of them had ALOT of ink on it and there was alot of ink of the same color in the cradle, which I also wiped out with alcohol cloth and none of the other cartridges or cradle slots had ink in them, so I thought perhaps that was the issue, a leaky cartridge. I replaced that one with a new one and started the printer up again. After alot of hemming and hawing it started up again and printed without any error message. YEAH! 

Now I'll see if it continues printing with no problem, or if the issue recurs.  It could have simply been a faulty ink cartridge, or there is something wrong with that one ink cartridge cradle.  If the error message comes back and that cradle is full of ink again I will have my answer that the printer head is bad and I'll have to buy a new printer, but I might have fixed the problem just by cleaning off the cartridges and GENTLY cleaning the ink cradles with an alcohol cloth to clean out any excess ink.   Hope this helps someone else.

12/18/2020 - UPDATE:  One month later and the printer is still working fine, so the cleaning worked. YEAH!  I did get the error one more time, but I wiped all the ink heads again and got lucky I guess because it started up again and has been fine ever since. I anticipate it may go on the fritz soon, but am keeping my fingers crossed because I really do love this printer and I can't seem to be able to find a replacement for it, nor can I find the same printer for sale any longer.

1/9/2020 - UPDATE:  Printer shut down again with the error code, but I had put in a cheap cartridge from a new vendor and checked that cradle first. Sure enough, it was full of ink.  I cleaned it all out with alcohol and a paper towel until the cradle came out clean, then ended up having to go buy an actual Cannon cartridge because all the new cheap ones I had purchased were defective (crap), but bit the bullet this one time. After everything was clean and tidy, turned the printer back on and the old girl started running again!  YEAH!  Cleaned the print heads and I guess we're back in business. 

mnigkoa
Apprentice

Replaced the print head with a new one. B200 error gone and I'm back to printing. Too bad the print head costs as much as a new printer and only lasts 3.5 years maximum.

Cleaning the print head will never help. Alcohol, hot water, it's not going to work. You need a new print head or a new printer. And this will happen every 3 years with this machine.

Announcements