cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA MG6820 Installed, Uninstalled, Can't Reinstall Driver

Daverati
Apprentice

I have an MG6820 printer that's driving me crazy. I tried downloading the driver from the Canon website but that didn't work, so I uninstalled it thinking I can just install it using Bonjour on my MacBook Pro. But every time I try, I get "An error occurred while trying to add the selected device. Unable to communicate with the printer at this time."

I also have the very same MacBook Pro from my employer. I was able to install the driver on that computer via Bonjour in, like, two seconds. Easy peasy.

It's driving me crazy that I can't install the driver on my personal MacBook—as I don't want to move personal files to my work computer just to print them at home. I've read several help articles and tried manually deleting all the related cache and other files I can find. What else can I do besides factory resetting my MacBook or buying a new printer to get the dang driver to install?

4 REPLIES 4

Danny

Hi, Daverati!

So that the Community can help you better, we need to know exactly which version of macOS is running on your computer. That, and any other details you'd like to give will help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is a time-sensitive matter, click HERE search our knowledge base or find additional support options HERE.

Thanks and have a great day!

macOS version: Monterey 12.0.1
Apple M1 chip
8 GB memory

ArthurJ
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi,

Please make sure to download and install both the MG6800 series CUPS Printer Driver Ver. 16.40.1.0 and ICA Driver Ver.5.0.0. 

Once that is done, go back to printers and scanners and try to install the printer again. If the printer is connected to your network, an option should appear for MG6800 IJ Network. 

If the Canon driver is still not detected but detected on another computer, you may need to reach out to Apple support. 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Tried installing both drivers and the results were even worse. Previously Bonjour would bring up the printer but encountered an error every time I tried to install it. Now it doesn't even show up as an option to install.

Announcements