cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA MG2922 not recognized over USB when installing driver

morgster4
Apprentice

Hi, I have a MG2922 and it prints fine via USB with my Dell Inspiron but I am trying to use my work laptop which is a Lenovo Thinkpad with Windows 11 and it just doesn't show up on my list of printers when I go to print something. I tried to install the latest driver for the printer with Windows 11 but it doesn't recognize the printer via USB and says "cannot detect" even though I follow the steps (close applications, turn off printer, then plug in + turn on) so I am unable to download it.

1 REPLY 1

JayC1
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi! Thanks for posting in the Canon Community Forum. I see that you are unable to install your Canon PIXMA MG2922 on your Windows 11 computer.

Please look at the lamps (lights) on the printer. If the Power lamp or Orange Alarm lamp are blinking, the printer may be experiencing an error. You won’t be able to install the printer while it is in an error state. For information on the possible errors that your printer can experience, please visit the following section of the manual:

https://ij.manual.canon/ij/webmanual/Manual/W/MG2900%20series/EN/UG/ug_trouble0300.html

If the printer is not experiencing an error, I recommend uninstalling the printer driver, restarting your computer, and then reinstalling. Before you start uninstalling, it is important to disconnect the USB cable and leave it disconnected. Please leave that cable disconnected until the setup program starts searching for the printer.

To get started, please follow these steps to delete the printer and uninstall the driver:

1. Turn the printer off and disconnect the USB cable. Leave the cable disconnected.
  2. Turn your computer off and then restart it.
  3. When the computer has finished turning on, click on the Windows symbol in the bar at the bottom of your screen. In Windows 11, the symbol looks like four blue squares (should be the left-most symbol in the center of the bar).
  4. In the Start menu that opens, click on the SETTINGS symbol (looks like a mechanical gear or wheel).
  5. In the left side of the Settings window, click on BLUETOOTH & DEVICES.
  6. On the right side of the Settings window, click on PRINTERS & SCANNERS.
  7. Look for the Canon MG2900 in the list that appears below Printers & Scanners. If you see it, click on it, and then click on the REMOVE button in the upper right of the window that pos up.
  8. Once the printer is deleted from the Settings window, close the window.
  9. RIGHT-click on the Windows Start icon (the left-most icon in the bar at the bottom of the computer screen) and select RUN from the small menu that opens.
  10. When the Run window opens, type the letters <  CMD  > in the box and then click on OK.
  11. When the Command Prompt window opens, type the word <  control  > and then press the Enter button on your keyboard.
  12. When the Control Panel opens, click on UNINSTALL A PROGRAM or PROGRAMS AND FEATURES.
  13. When the list of programs opens, right-click on the Canon MG2900 series MP Drivers and select UNINSTALL.
  14. Follow the on-screen instructions to uninstall the MP Drivers.
  15. Once the MP Drivers is removed from the list, close the Control Panel.
  16. Click on the Search option in the bar at the bottom of the screen and type the word <  Services  >.
  17. In the search window that pops up, click on the Services option that appears below Best Match.
  18. When the Services window opens, scroll down and look for the Print Spooler.
  19. RIGHT-click on the Print Spooler and select STOP.
  20. Once the service is stopped, RIGHT-click on the Print Spooler again and select START.
  21. Close the Services window.

When your done following the above steps, please open the following website:

https://www.usa.canon.com/support/p/pixma-mg2922

After the web page opens, please click on SOFTWARE & DRIVERS to the right of the picture of your printer. Then, look for the detected Operating System and Version below the section titled Downloads. Please make sure that you see Windows 11 under Version.

Below that, you’ll see a list of Software & Drivers (showing 8 of 9 results). Please scroll down and look for third option (titled Print Driver and Scan Utility Installer Ver. 1.01).

Please click on the DOWNLOAD button to the right of the Print Driver and Scan Utility Installer Ver. 1.01. When it finishes downloading, please run it and follow the instructions. You should be able to select a USB Connection option. Please do not connect the USB cable until that program tells you to turn the printer on and connect the cable or when the program starts searching for the printer.

When the installation is complete, you will be able to use the printer. 

Here are a few other helpful hints that you may help during the installation:

• Make sure that you are using a single USB printer cable that is no longer than 6 feet.
  • Do not connect the USB cable to an external USB device that is connected to the computer. The cable should be connected directly to a port on your computer.
  • Please do not use an adapter with the USB cable. If the fittings on the USB cable do not match the USB port on your computer, please purchase a cable with the correct fittings. For example, If your computer has oval-shaped USB ports, you will need a USB cable that has a USB-C (oval) connector on one end and a square USB-B connector on the other end. Please make sure the printer end of the cable is USB-B (not Mini B or Micro B).
  • If the printer is not being detected by the setup program, please connect the USB cable to a different port directly on the computer (if available).
  • If you have security software installed on your computer, we recommend disabling it while the setup program is running (if possible).

I hope this information helps. Thanks for choosing Canon.

Announcements