cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA IP8720 Truly Neutral Black and White Prints?!

wiscomaggie
Apprentice
  • Printing from Photoshop 23.0
  • Mac Monterrey 12.1
  • Paper: Canon Photo Plus Glossy II Paper
  • Color Handling: Photoshop Manages Colors
  • Rendering Intent: Relative Colormetric 
  • Printer Profile: ???
  • Image Color Space: Adobe RGB 1998 (Confirmed that the image is 100% Desaturated)
  • Quality and Media Settings: Photo Plus Glossy II Paper, Standard 

I have read via this forum that the Canon Photo Paper ICC profiles are installed with the printer driver, but I am not seeing anything in this list of Printer Profiles that clues me into them being Canon Photo Paper specific...

wiscomaggie_0-1644085656362.png

What am I missing here? I am fully aware that ICC profiles and paper settings can and will totally change the color tint of a print and I have tried many combinations of the profiles in this list as well as rendering intent without success. All of my tries have a very distinct red tint to the black and white.

wiscomaggie_1-1644085965397.png

Even tried the "Grayscale Printing" check box, which is not something I have EVER needed to use in the past when making neutral black and white prints... but it did not help. 

I would be thrilled to hear any suggestions from folks who have gotten neutral black and white prints (which I know this printer is capable of!!) I have some experience with digital output (Mostly Epson in the past) but I will admit that this has me feeling like a total dunce 😄

Thanks everyone!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

You are correct in thinking that you should be seeing Canon profiles.

Screen Shot 2022-02-05 at 4.57.40 PM.png

Do you have the Canon IJ Series version of the printer installed, and not the AirPrint version?

I don't have the same printer (I have a Pro-100), but I have seen that with some papers the lighting source can cause a color cast. I do not use the paper you are using, so I can't report my experiences. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

You are correct in thinking that you should be seeing Canon profiles.

Screen Shot 2022-02-05 at 4.57.40 PM.png

Do you have the Canon IJ Series version of the printer installed, and not the AirPrint version?

I don't have the same printer (I have a Pro-100), but I have seen that with some papers the lighting source can cause a color cast. I do not use the paper you are using, so I can't report my experiences. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Aha! I did not realize that when you go into System Preferences, Printers and Scanners, and click the “+” to add one, Mac automatically defaults the installation to “Bonjour” and not the Canon software. When I first read your reply I was thinking I had made an error in selecting the driver to install via Canon, and checking the settings in system prefs. where you add the printer AFTER the driver has been installed never occurred to me. That seemed like the simple part at the end that couldn’t be messed up LOL

Thanks so much for the info! 

Announcements