cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA G7020 prints but does not scan

jlfrank00
Apprentice

I moved to a new home. Resetting up my PIXMA G7020 has been anything but smooth. My new internet provider does not have 2.4Ghz, only 5Ghz, so I had to connect a long USB cable to my laptop. (Ridiculous!) The computer didn't see the printer at all, so I had to uninstall and reinstall the software. Now it sees the printer and will print, but the scanner doesn't work. I've tried from the printer panel to no avail, but I typically use the IJ Scan Utility anyway. In that app, the printer is listed, and I have chosen it, but the error message I get is "Cannot communicate with scanner...." Error Code: 5,157,69 - I am running Windows 11.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jlfrank00
Apprentice

So, since "Danny" was condescending and of zero help, let me post the actual answer to my question that I got from a phone call to tech support.

When I originally installed this printer, I had connected to my home wi-fi. When I moved and tried to connect again, I could not connect to wi-fi because my new internet provider only had 5Ghz, and stupidly this printer will only connect to 2.4Ghz. So, I assumed simply connecting the printer to the laptop via USB cable would solve the issue, but it did not (able to print but not scan).

The answer is... you have to completely uninstall the printer drivers and the IJ Scan Utility (separate tasks); redownload the drivers from the Canon website; reinstall the drivers (the scan utility will reinstall as well)... and THIS TIME, when going through set-up, choose to connect via USB cable. This was nothing that could be fixed through the settings. It had to be wiped clean and started again from scratch.

Problem solved. I hope this is helpful to someone else in the future.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Danny

Hi, jfrank00!

So that the Community can help you better, we need to know exactly which operating system is running on your computer (i.e. Windows or macOS, and which version thereof). That, and any other details you'd like to give will help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is a time-sensitive matter, click HERE search our knowledge base or find additional support options HERE.

Thanks and have a great day!

jlfrank00
Apprentice

So, since "Danny" was condescending and of zero help, let me post the actual answer to my question that I got from a phone call to tech support.

When I originally installed this printer, I had connected to my home wi-fi. When I moved and tried to connect again, I could not connect to wi-fi because my new internet provider only had 5Ghz, and stupidly this printer will only connect to 2.4Ghz. So, I assumed simply connecting the printer to the laptop via USB cable would solve the issue, but it did not (able to print but not scan).

The answer is... you have to completely uninstall the printer drivers and the IJ Scan Utility (separate tasks); redownload the drivers from the Canon website; reinstall the drivers (the scan utility will reinstall as well)... and THIS TIME, when going through set-up, choose to connect via USB cable. This was nothing that could be fixed through the settings. It had to be wiped clean and started again from scratch.

Problem solved. I hope this is helpful to someone else in the future.

We're sorry if Danny's reply asking for further clarification of your issues felt at all condescending to you, and assure you it wasn't intended that way. It's standard troubleshooting practice to gather as much information as possible when not presented clearly, to effectively troubleshoot without having to guess at those things which can lead to further complications. 

We're glad to hear your issue was resolved!

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements