cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA G7020 How to Change Default Printer Tray Permanently

IBRAD14
Apprentice

HELP... I am sick of dealing with this huge obstacle to my productivity and I finally have hit a wall. I have a pixma G7020... and I love everything about it except for a HUGE thing... the inability to automatically set the MAIN TRAY as the default tray to pull paper from NO MATTER WHAT. If something is printing, it should automatically pull from the main paper tray. But it won't. It defaults to REAR. EVERY TIME. I've altered tons of settings on and off...and it doesn't matter. EXAMPLES: I can't print from my phone because it wants to print from the rear tray EVERY SINGLE TIME and I have to manually overide it BY HAND on the actual printer (not a setting on the phone printer options) by touching OK on the actual printer control panel. So if I'm upstairs... I have to go downstairs, and then by that point, I may as well pull up the item on my computer, not the phone. But where it matters even more....This is a huge problem day to day with my business. If I print from ANY program (right now trying to print order invoices from Etsy).... the options panel that comes up from the print options in etsy... I set all the settings up...if I print to my $100 printer by Canon (the Ts6320)...it will print as it should. But if I change to my expensive workhorse...the 67020.... it doesn't matter. It defaults to the rear tray. There is NO option on the screen from within the print module in Chrome/Etsy that allows us to select which tray to pull from. And if I open up the printer options to override the program/browser printer options menu....then I lose all the other features like printing 4 orders per page, color vs b&W, certain page selection, etc. But every single printer I've owned (and it's been at least 10 in the course of my life...) the default tray would be the main paper tray. When something is 8.5x11 in size, then it should default to the MAIN tray. But nope. It defaults to REAR every single darn time. I can get it to stay to last printer settings when I'm printing from photoshop or silhouette studio ... indesign, etc... but if I print from the internet, like Etsy, or google, or google docs, concert tickets, a recipe....whatever... it sends to the REAR and then it beeps and says "no paper in rear tray." I tap OK... hoping that will mean "then use the main tray, dummy!!!" but no can do... it just beeps again. Rinse and repeat.

I will not recommend this printer to anyone...based on this setting alone. If there is something I can change to fix this, please let me know! I am so upset that I bought this printer and it's impossible to use in 75% of the circumstances.

14 REPLIES 14

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

There is an easy solution. Just create a printing profile and set the paper source as the main tray.

Canon : Inkjet Manuals : G7000 series : Registering a Frequently Used Printing Profile

Changing the "Paper Source" from Automatic to the desired source will resolve this.

shadowsports_0-1669556989501.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10

~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8 ~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi. I don’t currently own a computer. I just have an iPad and an iPhone for now and I can’t print. How do I change it? The app doesn’t have an option for it and clicking the button on the actual printer isn’t doing anything. It still tries to print from the rear tray. I didn’t need to own a computer to use my old HP printer so this is really annoying. Please help or I’ll have to return it.

I am able to print from cassette on my Windows computer but not my Mac, iPad, and iPhone.

NEW Profile does the same thing!  Danny is 100% on it!  No recommendation from me.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

You do not need a computer to register a paper source.  You can do this on the printer itself:

Canon : Inkjet Manuals : G7000 series : Paper Settings

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10

~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8 ~CarePaks Are Worth It

Is this only a Windows Solution, I did not see this menu in the Mac Windows.

This solution doesn't work for me. When I change the setting it flips back to rear tray after I print.

jbourne
Apprentice

I have a mac, and I run WordPerfect on a virtual Windows 11 with VMWare Fusion.  The 7020 will print a PDF file from Preview from the cassette but defaults to the rear feed when I try to print from either WordPerfect in the virtual Windows machine or from LibreOffice which is native on the mac.  I have been unable to reset the 7020 to default to the cassette - I have no idea what "Paper print position" on the control panel means with regard to the cassette.  I have found no way to control the feed in either WordPerct of LibreOffice.

MrGMAC
Apprentice

I created another Profile using "Cassette" only.  When I try and print from Outlook, it immediately changes to using the Rear Tray!  This is horrible and a real PIA.

Announcements