cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MX922 not utilizing black ink properly..

mhmdally
Apprentice

I currently use my printer strictly for word documents in plain black text. It seems my printer continues to go through the colored ink cartridges fairly quickly- with the exception of PGBK cartridge which looks untouched.

When my printed product comes out, it appears dark gray even though the text is intended to be black. I don't believe my printer is set to use the right ink cartridges. How can I resolve this issue?

5 REPLIES 5

Ramona
Authority

Hi mhmdally,

If you are printing mainly black text documents from the printer, we recommend setting the printer to print in grayscale mode to utilize the PGBK ink tank to print the text.  Please note, if you have a paper type selected other than plain paper, or if you are performing duplex (double-sided) printing, the printer will use a combination of the color ink tanks in the unit to print the black text on the page, even if the grayscale option is selected.  

If you would like detailed instruction for setting the printer to print in grayscale mode, please reply with the version of Windows or Mac OS you have on your computer.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks for your response. My printer is currently set up on Windows 10.

Hi mhmdally,

You can set your printer to print in grayscale mode by following these steps:

1. In the "Search the web and Windows" text box to the right of the Windows Start button, type "Devices and Printers", then click on the Devices and Printers option in the list that appears. If the "Search the web and Windows" box does not appear next to the Windows Start button, please click the button that looks like a magnifying glass to display it.

2. Right-click over the listing for your PIXMA MX922 printer, and then select PRINTING PREFERENCES from the menu that appears.

3. Click on the MAIN tab.

4. Select PLAIN PAPER as the Media Type. 

5. Select the checkbox for GRAYSCALE PRINTING near the bottom of the window.

6. Click the OK button to save the changes and close out of the Printing Preferences window. 

If you would like to go back to printing using the color inks, please uncheck the grayscale printing checkbox.

Hope this helps!

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I have my printer set to greyscale but it still says I have no ink while the large black cartridge is full.

Hi chuck6470,

The PIXMA MX922 will use color ink tanks to print colored text.  Even if the grayscale option is checked in the printer driver, if the original text is in a color other than black, the PIXMA MX922 will combine the cyan, magenta and yellow ink tanks together to make a composite black.  This is why your color ink cartridges are still being used.

To be able to print, please replace the ink tanks that are empty.

Announcements