cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MX922 Support Code 1403

yaholkoj
Apprentice

I've had my MX922 for several years and it has worked fine.  After printing something two days ago, I went to print something and I got a support code 1403:  The type of print head is incorrect.  Install the correct print head.  Now I have had those print heads in for months, so it wasn't a new print head. How can I reset this printer or remove the error code?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I ended up calling Customer Support who said the 1403 code meant the printer was toast. They said I was eligible for upgrade discount, so I took it. Could have bought a new MX922 for less than I could have gotten one on Amazon, but chose to go for an MB2021, also less than on Amazon.

View solution in original post

39 REPLIES 39

Gruff
Apprentice

As far as I can tell so far, there are two options, sending it to Canon for servicing or buying a new printer, whichever is cheaper.

That is what I had determined, but held out hope that someone had figured something out.

I ended up calling Customer Support who said the 1403 code meant the printer was toast. They said I was eligible for upgrade discount, so I took it. Could have bought a new MX922 for less than I could have gotten one on Amazon, but chose to go for an MB2021, also less than on Amazon.

It has ben over six weeks since this error occured and when I cleaned the ink blotters etc, and the problem hasn't returned.(Yet!)

Michael
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello.

If this error is still occuring, troubleshooting with our support group will be needed to narrow down the cause of your issue. Please contact our support group using the "Contact Us" link below for additional assistance.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Okay cleaning the ink blotters can you be a little more specific, my mx922 have been so bulletproof, originally buy for less than 100 dollars a piece, I've try numerous solutions but none work.  Help!  Thanks 

The error 1403 (also U05) is causing a lot of anger in the community.

Strangely, the problem is partly caused by bad translation of the error message from the Japanese to other languages.

The message that users get is, as follows: "The type of print head is incorrect".

A better message would be: "An error has been detected in the print head".

Users are also told to replace the print head with the "correct" one.

The meassage seems to suggest that the print head has surreptitiously been exchanged when you weren't looking.

Instead of telling users to install the correct print head, the mesage  should say somthing like:

"Please replace the print head".

The problem stems from the fact that Canon developers are using the words, "correct" and "incorrect" instead of words like "working" and "defect".

*** The solution to the problem is to purchase a new print head ***

In some cases, the cost of the print head exceeds the cost of a new printer.

However, in cases where the printer has functions like, duplex printing, and printing on CDs, etc., it is cheaper to buy a new print head than to purchase a new printer with all the functions you need.

This answer does, of course, not address the fact that Canon print heads should not fail to the extent that they obviously do.  It is even conceivable, that Canon's print heads have been manufactured with built-in obscelescence.

Canon should be taken to task for this apparent malpractice.

I have just bought a new print head QY6-0083-000 and it fixed the 1403 error that my MG7550 printer had.

I even put the old print head in another printer (MG6350) which uses the same the same head  technology, and the System Code 1403 came up as expected.  So it is definitely the print head that is causing the fault.

I hope this posting helps remove some of the emotion from the debate, and offers users a basis for planning whether to buy a new print head, or to purchase a new printer (and probably not a Canon).

Canon, please read this posting and:

1.  Please, correct the rather stupid 1403 (and U05) messages so they say what you actually mean.

2.  Please re-engineer your print heads to give users more acceptable length of service for their money.

It is coming up 4 months since I cleaned the print head area on my MX926 to get rid of the '1403' problem and the issue has not resurfaced in that time. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Can you please describe how you "cleaned" your print head.

I still have the faulty head and would like to try to resurrect it.

If it works for me, I'll amend my posing.

Thanks

Announcements