cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MX492 Scan scanning on Windows 11 - Not working

davidtkhayes
Apprentice

Canon MX492 connected via wifi on same network as laptop.  No issues with printing.  Cannot scan since upgrading to Windows 11, Canon says MX492 Pixma is supported but it does not work. 

Uninstalled and reinstalled all software.  Canon InkJet Printer Utility will start and run but has NO options under 'Apps' to scan.

Microsoft App Store has the 'Scan' App which I installed.  Have many errors running that.  It appears to scan and feeds the paper through the feeder, but ends with an error when trying to save as a PDF.  I did get it to work saving as a JPEG on 150dpi resolution, but it still showed an error at the end of the scan, but the files (2 pages) were saved and satisfactory.

Anyone having similar issues and is there is working resolution to this machine on Windows 11?

5 REPLIES 5

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi davidtkhayes,

Reinstalling will resolve this issue. To do this, please follow these steps:

1. Press the Windows key on your keyboard and the letter R, then let both go.

2. In the Run window, please type CONTROL PANEL and click OK.

3. Click on View devices and printers (or Devices and printers, depending on your view).

4. Right click the Canon MX490 series and left click on Remove device. Repeat until all MX490's are removed.

5. Click Close to close that window.

6. In the upper left corner, click on Control Panel (or the Back button).

7. In Control Panel, click on Uninstall a program (or Programs and features, depending on your view).

8. Click once on "Canon MX490 series MP Drivers" and then click Uninstall at the top. If it is not in the list, skip to step 17.

9. Follow the on screen prompts to uninstall the driver. When you click Complete, the driver is uninstalled.

10. Once done, please reboot your computer.

When your computer restarts, we will reinstall:

1. Please use the following link:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/inkjet-multifunction/mx-s...

2. Click the Select button next to "MX490 series MP Drivers Ver. 1.02 (Windows)".

3. Click the Download button. The drivers will download.

4. Once the download is complete, open your downloads folder. To access this, press CTRL and J, then let both go.

5. Double click "mp68-win-mx490-1_02-ea33_3.exe" to begin the installation.

6. Follow the on screen prompts to reinstall.

Once the installation has completed, please attempt to scan using the IJ Scan Utility.

To open this, please click on the Windows Start button in the taskbar at the bottom of your computer's screen.

In the menu that appears, click on the Canon Utilities folder.

In that folder, click on the IJ Scan Utility.

Please use the Photo or Document button on the IJ Scan Utility to perform a scan.

More information regarding the IJ Scan Utility can be viewed here:

https://ij.manual.canon/ij/webmanual/ScanUtility/W/MX490%20series/1.1/EN/SU/Top.html

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

This doesn't work.  Followed all the steps and dialog box says it can not locate the MX492.

UPDATE:  The steps apparently left out that before/when connecting the USB that the printer should be OFF.  When repeating/reinstalling the program with the printer OFF, the MX492 was found after connecting the USB and turning ON the printer.

Hi Eutychus2,

So we can assist you, we will need some more information. Is your printer connected to your wifi or are you using a usb cord? 

We look forward to your reply. 

Read the first sentence please. It is Wi-Fi. And you do realize that I asked this question in February…. I have since moved on and found another workaround

asking me to reinstall the software when I have stated that I have already reinstalled the software is …,well…. I have no idea….

If you don't mind my asking, what was your workaround?  I'm in the same situation.

Thank you very much!

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements