cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MX490 “low on ink”

danamsf64
Apprentice

I recently replaced the black cartridge. This is the second time in the past few months. I keep getting a “low on ink” message. There is no way the cartridge is low. I’m not even sure the previous one was low or empty, I seem to have had this issue since using a generic cartridge from Staples prior to these two. After little use of both these cartridges, I’ve noticed bad prints with vertical lines across top of print and nothing totally printed on bottom. I did try everything including the tape trick and factory resetting. Nothing has worked. I don’t use this printer often and would hate to have to replace it. Any help would be appreciated. 

5 REPLIES 5

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi danamsf64,

Please turn your PIXMA MX490 on.

What is the support code that appear on the display of your printer?

Next, please open the cover to your PIXMA MX490.

What is all of the text that appears on the label of the black ink cartridge that is installed?

What is all of the text that appears on the label of the color ink cartridge that is installed?

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

No support code .. it just says “black ink is running low”.. same for color ..

I have not needed color ink, so it hasn’t been replaced. The black cartridge is almost brand new. I had the same issue with the previous canon black cartridge and I know it was no where near empty. I seem to have had this problem since I used a genetic black cartridge from staples.

I am using the canon cartridges recommended for this printer.

Hi danamsf64,

Please replace the black ink with a new, genuine, Canon ink cartridge.  Doing this will clear that message.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/pixma-mx492-compatible-inks

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I had replaced it with yet another canon cartridge ..

the cartridge is brand new. The stupid thing will print a few pages, then the pages are barely readable .. just dealt with this again with this brand new cartridge 

Hi danamsf64,

Based on your description of the issue, it would appear that the timing strip would need cleaning.  To do this, please follow the steps on this page:

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART164873

Announcements