cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MX340 connectivity probem with new HP laptop Win10 S Mode

buckeye22
Apprentice

I understand my MX340, which still works great, should be able to work with a Win 10 laptop, however, our new laptop is in S Mode. I was able to use the Microsoft Store to upload Canon Inkjet Print Utility, but the laptop was unable to see the MX340.  I also tried to use the setup diskette that came with the printer, but as the laptop is Win10 S Mode, I was unable to use the diskette.  Is the MX340 able to be used by a Win10 S Mode laptop? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Success!  After multiple calls with Microsoft, it was found that there was a problem with Windows Update on this new HP box. For some reason, Windows Update stopped running after a month of use.  A Microsoft Level 2 tech got involved and changed a number of things behind the scenes.  While he was doing that, I noticed a popup about the MX340.  When he was done and Windows Update was once again working, I checked "devices" and found that the MX340 had moved from "Unspecified" to the "Printers".  All is well now.  My wife's laptop is still in Win10 S mode and she can use the MX340 for her printing.  She's happy so I'm happy.  The  MX340 has done a great job for us since we bought it so are happy that we can continue to use it.  Thank you for your responses.  I very much appreciate your interest and quick feedback.  I wish my experiences with other tech forums were as good as this Canon forum.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi buckeye22,

The PIXMA MX340 is compatible with S mode.

If you are using your PIXMA MX340 wirelessly, please make sure that your printer is connected to the same wireless network that your laptop is connected to.  To determine this, please follow these steps:

1.  Press the Menu button repeatedly and select [Device settings].

2.  Use the < or > button to select [LAN settings], then press the OK button.

3.  Use the < or > button to select [Print LAN details], then press the OK button.

The network information will be printed.  Please take note of the SSID.  Please make sure your laptop is connect to the same network.

To install your printer, please follow these steps:

1.  Press the Windows key on your keyboard and the letter R, then let both go.

2.  In the Run window, please type CONTROL PANEL and click OK.

3.  Click on Devices and printers.

4.  Click on Add a printer.

5.  In the new window that appears, click on your printer and then click Next.

6.  A driver will be installed.  When this process has finished, click Finish.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

In "Devices and Printers", I tried to "Add a printer", but nothing was found to select.  Another HP (older; circa 2011) laptop on the same SSID sees and uses the MX340 perfectly.  Then I noticed in "Devices and Printers" that the MX340 was in a section entitled "Unspecified".  So it seems that the new HP is seeing the MX340 ok on the network, but doesn't know what it is.  Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

Hi buckeye22.

The drivers used by Windows in S Mode are provided by Microsoft, or by the computer's manufacturer.  The Canon-produced drivers may only be installed if S Mode is disabled (it cannot later be re-enabled without resetting the printer back to factory conditions).

If possible, try removing/uninstalling the MX340 from the "Unspecified" list, then use the Add Printer command again.  If that doesn't correct the problem, then you may need to contact the computer's manufactuer for updated S Mode drivers, or disable S Mode to install the Canon-produced drivers.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks for the quick response.  I selected "Remove" of the MX340 from the "Unspecified" list, but it did not remove it.  As for me contacting the manufacturer (HP) or Microsoft to make the Canon drivers available, I'd think Canon would be more successful in initiating the contact and making the drivers available not just to me, but for all MX340 owners.  As for leaving S mode ...  well, this is my wife's laptop and I wanted S mode to help keep her out of trouble.  

Success!  After multiple calls with Microsoft, it was found that there was a problem with Windows Update on this new HP box. For some reason, Windows Update stopped running after a month of use.  A Microsoft Level 2 tech got involved and changed a number of things behind the scenes.  While he was doing that, I noticed a popup about the MX340.  When he was done and Windows Update was once again working, I checked "devices" and found that the MX340 had moved from "Unspecified" to the "Printers".  All is well now.  My wife's laptop is still in Win10 S mode and she can use the MX340 for her printing.  She's happy so I'm happy.  The  MX340 has done a great job for us since we bought it so are happy that we can continue to use it.  Thank you for your responses.  I very much appreciate your interest and quick feedback.  I wish my experiences with other tech forums were as good as this Canon forum.

Announcements