cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MX 490 Won't start after 6/3/22 Firmware Update

MommaTee
Apprentice

Mine was one of the Pixma MX 490 printers that started power cycling off and on on 5/31/2022. I found and applied the firmware update following the directions listed on the Cannon site. Now the printer won't turn on at all. 

Anyone have any suggestions as to what to do next?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

MommaTee
Apprentice

I left the printer unplugged for a week, plugged it in and this time, it started. The firmware I downloaded and installed (prior to power failure) fixed the power cycle issue. For no reason I know, it is now working. SMH

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

SAME HERE.  UNABLE TO DOWNLOAD FIRMWARE RECOMMENDED BY CANON WEBSITE.

martharitte
Contributor

Unable to download firmware update following directions from Canon.  What a inconvenient mess.  THANKS, CANON~

Janiece87
Contributor

I tried the firmware update and I don’t get the box show in the instruction for number 4-6. I decide to do away with wireless altogether. I bought a usb cord from Amazon. Here are the steps to go the USB route

Unplug printer and modem

Wait 5 minutes then plug printer back up

Reset wireless network settings to factory default settings

1. Press the Setup button.
  2. Press the right arrow until Device settings appears, then press OK.
  3. Press the right arrow until Reset setting appears, then press OK.
  4. Press the right arrow until LAN settings appears, then press OK.
  5. Press the left arrow to select Yes, then press OK.

Download your printer Driver CD

(If you don’t have it, you can get it free in Canon website. Search your product and download)

Be sure to use a USB cord and you can print now!!

If you have a Mac go in system preference>printers and scanners> delete the printer by clicking it and press “-“ (minus) button (because it’s looking for wireless connection) then press “+” (add) button and it will add your printer back.

@Janiece87 - I would try your suggestion, if the printer would turn on at all. At this point, it truly is a brick!

Jo-Jo
Apprentice

Same am unable to download the update. I am using a Chromebook. The new update is for Windows and Mac.

MommaTee
Apprentice

I left the printer unplugged for a week, plugged it in and this time, it started. The firmware I downloaded and installed (prior to power failure) fixed the power cycle issue. For no reason I know, it is now working. SMH

Announcements