cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF4150 problems

Frustrated_one
Apprentice

My small office has a laptop running Windows Vista and a networked desktop with a Canon MF4150 connected.  When the desktop was running Windows XP, we had no problem with scanning or network printing.  After the desktop was upgraded to Windows 8.1 recently (installed the most updated driver and MF4150 Toolbox 4.9 following the instructions on this forum),  printing and scanning from the desktop is o.k, but I cannot connect to the printer from the laptop.  When I try to add network printer from the laptop, the MF4150 cannot be found.  If I manually find the MF4150 and try to connect to it from the laptop, an error message appears:  "The printer does not have the correct driver.  The file *.INF is needed".  I have no clue what this file is and where to find it.

Is there a solution to this problem?  Can a PC on Windows Vista access a MF4150 on another PC running Windows 8.1?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2

Patrice
Whiz

Hi Frustrated_one.

I will be glad to assist you.  However, since the imageCLASS MF4150 is not a supported network printer (printer sharing is supported), I would like to ask a few questions:

1. How is the printer connected to the Windows 8 computer?  Is it connected directly with a USB cable or is it connected to a print server?
  2. If the unit is connected to a print server, who is the manufacturer and what is the model number?
  3. Did you uninstall the drivers for Windows Vista before reinstalling the latest drivers?

I look forward to your reply.  Should you need immediate assistance, please contact us at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) and a representative will be able to assist you.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hi Pat:

The MF4150 is connected to the desktop via a USA cable (not a printer server) and shared with other computers.  I only installed the latest driver for the printer on the desktop after the upgrade from Winwons XP to Windows 8.1.  No change ws made from the laptop.

Should I install the Windows Vista version of the MF4150 driver on the laptop?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Announcements