Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for help with weird smudging PIXMA iP8720

mlfashions
Apprentice

Hello,

I am looking for help with my printer.

The model is Inkjet ip8720 and the printouts have smudges(black lines) that look like the attached picture.

Does anyone have any ideas of what could cause it by looking at the pattern of the smudge?

I googled for images of smudging, smearing, and dotted lines but could not find anything similar.

I have tried the following:

1. Printer Maintenances: Cleaning, Deep Cleaning, Printhead Alignment, Bottom Plate Cleaning (10 times, with papers with different thicknesses), and Roller Cleaning.

2. Cleaning the printhead assembly multiple times: 1) just wiping out the inks on it, 2) spraying the ink holes to unclog them, 3) with alcohol, 4) with hot running water (with hot water, I removed all of the inks in it completely)

3. Cleaning the inks from the absorber (the sponge thing at the bottom of the printing area)

There is one area I was not able to clean,

Deep inside the printer far right corner where the printhead would rest when not operating.

I can see lots of ink there but I cannot clean the area because it's too deep inside.

Every time the printhead sits on that area, it will turn like how it looks in the attached picture (two rectangular ink marks). I wasn't sure if this is normal or not. fortunately, I have another printer of the exact same model that doesn't have the issue. And I found out that this other printer also has rectangular ink marks on the printhead.

Now, assuming that the rectangular marks are normal, I have no idea what else I can try.

Does anyone have any ideas or experienced a similar issue?

test.jpgcanon-install-2-1.jpg

1 REPLY 1

ArthurJ
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi,

Based on the steps you have taken, you have done everything we would suggest. Since the issue is not resolved, your IP8720 would require service. 

If the printer is in it's 1 year warranty, I recommend reaching out to Canon support for your warranty options. You will need to register your Canon gear HERE to access additional support options.

If the printer is out of warranty, you would qualify for the Canon Upgrade program. This is for out of warranty units which have been diagnosed to require service or are incompatible with a new or upgraded system. This program allows you the opportunity to purchase a replacement product discounted from the list price. Free ground shipping is included with your purchase.

If you would like to take advantage of this offer, please call our Sales Department at (866) 443-8002 Mon-Sat, 9 AM to 9pm EST excluding holidays.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Announcements