cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just finished using the MP610 and turned it off. When I decided to print another it won't turn on?

greeneiic
Apprentice
I've had this MP610 printer for years and it has worked beautifully. Today after doing a print I turned it off. Then I decided to do another print of the same project. The print is a '25th Anniversary' card for my wife. When I pressed the on button, nothing happened. I wiggled the plug in cord and the green light came on for a second. I tried switching power sources and unplugging the printer for 5 minutes before trying again...But still no light or power. I'm mechanically inclined and I don't think this is a major issue. Has anyone else had this problem and resolved this issue? All help is appreciated.
2 REPLIES 2

Ramona
Authority

Hi greeneiic,

Congratulations on your anniversary!  

In addition to the steps you have tried, please try the following to see if the printer will power back on:

1. Ensure that the printer is plugged directly into a wall outlet instead of going through a surge protector that is plugged into a wall outlet, as sometimes some ports on a surge protector may no longer work.

2. If you have another power cord you can use with the printer, please see if using that power cord will allow the printer to power on.

If the printer still does not turn on after these steps, it will most likely require servicing; please call or email us at one of the methods on the Contact Uspage to obtain your servicing options.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thank you for your help. After joining the Canon Community Forum,  I tested the printer by changing power outlets and had the same results. Then I googled my problem and found out  the 'power supply unit' was my problem. There are not many power input units out there for the MP610 Printer and when I finally found one, it would cost $103 dollars. I still wanted to see if there was anything I could do to repair the unit, but first I had to learn how to remove it. I called Canon's Tech support and was assisted with removing the power supply unit from the printer.

The technician who was helping me, then gave me some good common sense advice...I've had the printer for six or seven years. The 'power unit' was no longer available from Canon and $103 dollars was a lot of money for that part when I could buy a new printer and start fresh. I agreed with his logic, and ordered a PIXMA MG7520. I have been very please with the Canon MP610 and in the future, I will only by Canon printers because of their quality and the excellent Tech support I received.

Beside, now that I'm a member of the 'Canon Community' I have another source of help if needed.

Thanks again.

Announcements