cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I print using only black ink? I have a Pixma MX920 with Mac OS X 10.7.5

rann
Apprentice

I can't seem to figure out how to print in black ink only...I don't often need to use color and don't want to waste the ink unnecessarily.  Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ramona
Authority

Hi rann,

We can create a grayscale preset so that you can print using only the large black ink tank in the printer when performing text printing.  To do this, please follow these steps:

1. Open the APPLICATIONS folder.

2. Open the TextEdit program. When the program is open, a small white window will appear.

3. Click FILE at the top left corner and choose PRINT.

4. In the Print dialog screen, look for the third drop-down menu, labeled as 'Textedit'.

5. Expand this Menu and choose QUALITY AND MEDIA.

6. In the Quality and Media menu, check the box labeled GRAYSCALE.

7. Next, look up for the second dropdown menu, labeled PRESETS or STANDARD.

8. Expand this menu and choose SAVE AS.

9. Type in 'Grayscale' or 'Black and White', then click OK.

You should now be able to select the Grayscale preset from any application you print from.  Simply change the preset back to 'Standard' for color printing.

Please note:  If you have any other paper type selected other than plain paper (i.e., photo paper, envelopes, labels, etc.), or perform duplex (double-sided) printing, the printer will use the color inks to make the grayscale text on the page, even with the grayscale option selected.

Hope this helps!

This didn't answer your question or issue? Please call or email us at one of the methods on the Contact Us page for further assistance.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Ramona
Authority

Hi rann,

We can create a grayscale preset so that you can print using only the large black ink tank in the printer when performing text printing.  To do this, please follow these steps:

1. Open the APPLICATIONS folder.

2. Open the TextEdit program. When the program is open, a small white window will appear.

3. Click FILE at the top left corner and choose PRINT.

4. In the Print dialog screen, look for the third drop-down menu, labeled as 'Textedit'.

5. Expand this Menu and choose QUALITY AND MEDIA.

6. In the Quality and Media menu, check the box labeled GRAYSCALE.

7. Next, look up for the second dropdown menu, labeled PRESETS or STANDARD.

8. Expand this menu and choose SAVE AS.

9. Type in 'Grayscale' or 'Black and White', then click OK.

You should now be able to select the Grayscale preset from any application you print from.  Simply change the preset back to 'Standard' for color printing.

Please note:  If you have any other paper type selected other than plain paper (i.e., photo paper, envelopes, labels, etc.), or perform duplex (double-sided) printing, the printer will use the color inks to make the grayscale text on the page, even with the grayscale option selected.

Hope this helps!

This didn't answer your question or issue? Please call or email us at one of the methods on the Contact Us page for further assistance.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I have the same question and I've been printing in greyscale since I've replaced my cartridges last year.  Now my color cartridges are telling me they're low.

This response on the community says the opposite about greyscale and my experience seems to bear this out:

Re_Canon_MX920._Want_to_print_only_in_black,_mag..._-_Canon_Community_-_2018-01-07_13.15.01.png

I agree.  I have been using grayscale- I rarely print in color- and my color cartridges have had to be replaced many times.  But if I don't print in grayscale then the color items appear in completely in color.  There doesn't seem to be a good solution!

Thank you Ramona!   The operative part for me in your answer is no "duplex" printing.  When I print single sided, the grayscale option to print using the b&w cartridge works perfectly!  I never would have figured that out on my own!

Announcements