cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HOW DO I INSTALL PIXMA MX870 ON MY NEW MAC?

pfsmile
Apprentice

I'm hoping someone can help me!  I have a Pixma MX870 printer.  It's about 10 years old.  It works through Bluetooth on my laptop.  I recently bought an iMAC desktop but I can't install the printer.  When I go to system preferences and search for the printer, I find it.  It then asks for the software/driver to install.  I let it auto select and each time it says I need to contact Canon to get the correct software/driver.  If I go in to manually select the software, it only gives me a list of software options of non-canon printers.  I went to Canon's website and downloaded the latest drivers/software they have but they only have updates through and older version of the OS I use with my Mac.  There are no updates for my current OS with my Mac.  I tried calling Canon but they said this printer is no longer supported with an agent but fully supported online so I can't even speak to someone.  Does ANYONE know how I can get my printer to install on this newer Mac?  It works fine on the newest OS version on my laptop. 

3 REPLIES 3

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

The printer itself was only officially supported with drivers through El Capitan v10.11.

The printer might work with later versions of Mac OS with some limitations.  Everything available (software wise) for the device is here:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/support-inkjet-printer/mx...

There is only limited support available beyond v10.11.  The hardware itself may or may not work with certain versions of MAC OS.

You may also see some descrepencies based on how you connect..  USB vs. wired or wireless network.  If the latter, I suggest giving the device a static IP and adding to the MAC as a IP printer for best results/outcome.   

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks...yes that is the site I used to download the latest updates.  However my mac is still saying it needs the software to install the printer.  So I'm guessing then that my printer is too old to work with the latest version of OS I have on this new mac.  

Hi pfsmile,

The PIXMA MX870 is not supported with the version of OSX.  You are eligible for Canon's Upgrade Program. This is for out of warranty units which have been diagnosed to require service, or for some reason are incompatible with a new or upgraded system. This option allows you a one-time opportunity to purchase a replacement product, discounted from the list price.

To help you get up and running quickly, we also offer free standard shipping (if the order is completed by 12:30PM ET). If you would like to take part in this option, please call our Sales Department at (866) 443-8002.  They're available weekdays and Saturdays after 9 AM ET (6 AM PT). Let them know you have been working with technical support and the Canon Upgrade Program was offered.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements