cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing printers from G6020 to G7020

jdane99
Apprentice

Hello,  I purchased a Canon G6020 a month ago, but now I'm upgrading to a G7020.  The G6020 has not been used, but it's full of ink and I need to ship it back.  The G7020 printer which has no ink in it.  Is it possible to switch the ink tanks?  (Otherwise I need to secure the tanks and ship it back and hope it doesn't make a mess.)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Opened and ink installed is "used' regardless of what your definition is.

You were lucky to find a retailer who allows this type of return as they will probably not be able to resell it.

The printers use the same inks.  However, they cannot be moved between devices.  These are MegaTank printers.    

If you have poured inks into the mega tanks and are shipping the device somewhere, it will likely arrive a complete mess.  You can be kind and wrap it in a garbabe bag, but the receiving party will probably not be happy.  

It really depends on the shipper, but I suspect it might not stay in a horizontal position and printers full of ink aren't designed to defy gravity.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10

~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8 ~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Opened and ink installed is "used' regardless of what your definition is.

You were lucky to find a retailer who allows this type of return as they will probably not be able to resell it.

The printers use the same inks.  However, they cannot be moved between devices.  These are MegaTank printers.    

If you have poured inks into the mega tanks and are shipping the device somewhere, it will likely arrive a complete mess.  You can be kind and wrap it in a garbabe bag, but the receiving party will probably not be happy.  

It really depends on the shipper, but I suspect it might not stay in a horizontal position and printers full of ink aren't designed to defy gravity.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10

~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8 ~CarePaks Are Worth It

jdane99
Apprentice
Thanks, shadowspots!

I tried to explain to Amazon that the ink tanks were newly filled, even though I had never been able to print anything. The Amazon clerk simply said to pack it back up and send it back. I told her it would likely make a mess.

Since they use the same ink, I will try to use a syringe and remove as much ink as possible and then try to secure the lids as best as I can and ship it back. I’ll put the ink into the G7020.

The printer needs attention anyway as I was unable to get it to print.
Announcements