cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Pixma MG4120 won't connect to new MacBook

ElaineF
Contributor

Hi there. I have a Canon Pixma MG4120 that won't connect to a recently purchased MacBook. I know the Pixma MG4120 is retired, but I'm using a USB, so shouldn't it still work with my MacBook? I tried to download the driver software but there were way too many sites and options and I didn't know which one, if any, I could trust. When I came to the official Canon site, all I got was a message telling me the Pixma was retired. That's what brought me here. The MacBook operating system is macOS Monterey, version 12.5. It has an Apple M1 Chip and 8 GB Memory. Thank you in advance for any help or suggestions.

4 REPLIES 4

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

No drivers are available for Monterey OS.  You can try to connect the device and see what happens.  With certainty you will need to tell GateKeeper that you want to allow communication with the device when its connected for the first time. I don't have my mac with me, but it looks similar to this. (printer not phone).  If your new MAC has USB-C and you are using some type of adapter, it might not be compatible or allow the printer to connect.  You'll need one that has the correct PIN mapping for detection and communication.

shadowsports_0-1682906431341.png

The printer hasn't had drivers since High Sierra, so I can't say if the printer with work with Monterey.  If it does, it might be limited without drivers.  You can try it though.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thank you so much for your time and advice. I never got a GateKeeper message when I plugged the printer in and tried to set it up using the USB. This is the problem: when I plug the printer in using the USB, it doesn't show up in the options to add a printer. That's when I looked into it, and it appears that I need to download a driver that will recognize the printer on the MacBook. 

I have no idea what a USB-C is, but I assume it's a different style USB plug? How would I know if this is the problem, and how do I find one that has the correct PIN mapping for detection and communication? 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

You are correct.  USB-C ports look like this.

shadowsports_0-1682949607781.png

If the MacBook doesn't have standard USB, then an adapter allows you to connect the old USB-A to a new USB-C connection.  You don't need to buy one from Apple, they will charge you 4 times the $6-8 dollars one might actually cost.  You just need one that works. Amazon is a good place to start.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thank you! I see. Yes, there are different ports, but that's not the issue. I wish it were because it would be easier to solve! My problem is that I can't find the driver that will allow the laptop to connect to the printer.

click here to view the gallery
Announcements