cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Megatank Printers designed to fail???

Verdict0224
Apprentice

I've been doing my research on new printers because I want a inkjet printer finally to do some screen printing and the mega tank caught my attention. But during a video that I watched, it was brought to light that The printer is designed to fail. When it hits a certain waste ink counter number, the printer will no longer work, and there is no end user solution to the waste ink sponge being completely filled. You'd literally have to pay someone, buy something, or Just  throw away your printer because it won't work anymore....

Is this true, and if so, just why? Why would it be designed like this? That sounds horrible

6 REPLIES 6

Verdict0224
Apprentice

???

david07666
Enthusiast

I recently bought a  G7020 megatank and I think I saw a similar claim somewhere.  I seriously question the truth of that statement.  If it were a problem these boards would be full of complaints, which they are not.  Ditto for the reviews on Amazon.  I don't believe it. 

Now, for what it's worth, I bought my G7020 direct from Canon as an open box item but the printer had never been used (and yes, it still came with the extra 2 bottles of black ink).  The savings obtained buying open box paid for a 4 year extended warranty which also included coverage for accidental damage so I'm not too worried about anything that might happen to it.  But I still don't believe the claim you mentioned.

I have the same printer as you just bought.  After 5 months and less than 300 pages printed one of the colors would not print.  After doing nozzle check, clean, and deep clean the color would not flow to the print head.  The last option is Ink Flush which uses lots of ink which ends up in the ink absorber pads.  When these pads become full your printer will no longer work at all.  May you never have to do an ink flush as it shortens the life of the printer big time.  There are lots of youtube videos about this.  Best of luck.

david07666
Enthusiast

I stand corrected on this problem.  Over on Canon's Canada website they talk about how it will need to be serviced if that happens.  See https://canoncanada.custhelp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/1035621/~/the-printer-or-computer-show...

awm54gl
Apprentice

the engineer that designed that should be questioned on how that is a fix for the customer. Now, where can you buy new pads and reset the counter?  or does it need to go to a Canon repair site. might be a warranty fix. 4 years after it was announced and still not fixed?  I thought Canon made great printers, so this is a discredit to the company.

DVL
Apprentice

Profits before customers

Announcements